Business

Five bidders offer over US$1 bil for Genting property along Miami waterfront

Could result in highest amount paid for any development site in US, says broker

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 25 Mar 2023 11:57AM

Five bidders offer over US$1 bil for Genting property along Miami waterfront
The 6.3ha prime land along Miami’s waterfront used to house the Miami Herald newspaper office, but now is home to the annual Art Miami and Context fairs. – Profile Miami pic, March 25, 2023

KUALA LUMPUR – At least five bids exceeding US$1 billion (RM4.43 billion) are in for Genting Bhd’s billion-dollar 6.3ha prime land along Miami’s waterfront, a potential record for the deal.

Its broker Michael Fay told Bloomberg that the bids are from domestic and international parties but did not reveal who they are.

“If we get what we hope to achieve, this could be the highest price paid for any development site in the country,” he was quoted as saying.

The site, described as one of the largest undeveloped tracts along the city’s waterfront, used to house the Miami Herald newspaper office. Now it is home to the annual Art Miami and Context fairs.

It also sits on Biscayne Bay, across from Miami Beach.

After Genting failed to get a casino licence from Florida, it listed the site for sale in November last year.

While the highest bid was shy of US$1.5 billion, Genting is expected to narrow the list to three bidders before announcing its decision in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, The Real Deal reported that the land at 1431 North Bayshore Drive in Miami represents more than half of the company’s holdings.

Genting had acquired the waterfront property for US$236 million in 2011 – a record for Miami-Dade county then.

The site’s zoning code permits up to 60 stories of development and 500 residential units per acre.

Currently, Genting owns the Hilton Miami Downtown hotel and Omni Centre space in Miami.

It was reported that Genting would possibly use the proceeds to expand the hotel and casino complex at its Resorts World slot-machine parlour in Queens, New York. The casino operator is also eyeing one of three new gaming licences in New York. – The Vibes, March 25, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 1mth

MACC: No one off limits in probe into US$13 million luxury property deal

Malaysia / 3mth

Rescued South Korean kidnapping victim turns out to be Interpol-wanted fugitive

Malaysia / 5mth

Court dismisses bid by Goh Tong's grandchildren to expunge portions of lawyer's testimony

Malaysia / 9mth

Motorists will soon have to pay for a drive up Genting Highlands

Business / 9mth

Matrix Concepts ranks among top 10 at The Edge Malaysia Top Property Developers' Awards 2025

Living / 11mth

Creation of new Penang townships could drive property prices

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert