Business

Twitter safety exec quits after anti-trans video strife

Ella Irwin did not cite reasons behind resignation

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 03 Jun 2023 12:12PM

Twitter safety exec quits after anti-trans video strife
Since Elon Musk bought Twitter for US$44 billion (RM201.4 billion), its value has plummeted with the return of far-right figures and loss of trust by users. – Pixabay pic, June 3, 2023

SAN FRANCISCO – Twitter’s head of trust and safety yesterday confirmed she had quit the company, her departure coming after owner Elon Musk endorsed an anti-transgender video shared on the platform.

“I know there’s been a lot of speculation regarding what happened,” read a post on Ella Irwin’s Twitter account late yesterday, a day after her resignation was reported in US media.

“I did resign but this has been a once in a lifetime experience,” she added, without revealing any reason for suddenly leaving her job at Twitter.

Irwin is the second head of trust and safety to quit Twitter since eccentric billionaire Musk bought the platform and reduced content moderation to essentially permit anything allowed by law.

Since taking over Twitter in late October, Musk has repeatedly courted controversy, sacking most of its staff, readmitting banned accounts to the platform, suspending journalists and charging for previously free services.

Musk said during a CNBC interview in May that he will continue to tweet his unfiltered thoughts even if it hurts his businesses.

“I don’t care,” the billionaire said when asked what he thought of his controversial tweets making it harder to sell ads on Twitter or hurting the share price of Tesla, his electric vehicle manufacturing business.

“I’ll say what I want to say and if the consequence of that is losing money, so be it.”

Irwin’s departure came as Twitter was under pressure by backers of an anti-transgender video called What Is A Woman, who claimed Twitter went back on a deal to distribute the content free on the platform.

Backers of the video contended the video was being suppressed at Twitter for not using people’s chosen pronouns when it came to gender identification.

Musk said in a Twitter exchange with the conservative outlet behind the video that people had made a mistake and the video, while possibly “rude”, was not against the law.

A post for the video reading “Every parent should watch this” was pegged to the top of Musk’s Twitter account as of late yesterday.

At least one other high-level Twitter executive left after the incident, according to US media reports.

The controversy comes just weeks before respected media and advertising executive Linda Yaccarino is to replace Musk as Twitter’s chief executive.

Moves made by Musk have spooked advertisers, many of whom left the platform due to concerns over their products being associated with troubling content.

Since Musk bought Twitter for US$44 billion (RM201.4 billion), its value has plummeted with the return of far-right figures and loss of trust by users. – AFP, June 3, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Brand new Proton X70 catches fire, becomes viral

Malaysia / 2y

Beyoncé's fan account administrator perplexed over PAS jokes

Tech / 2y

Social media platform X to offer video, audio calls: Musk

World / 2y

Musk’s X allows political ads again after nearly four years

Tech / 3y

Social media app TweetDeck placed behind paywall

Tech / 3y

Musk says much-hyped cage fight with Zuckerberg will be in Italy

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir