Business

UK to reduce virus quarantine for travellers

Country to cut self-isolation period to 10 days ‘after reviewing evidence’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Dec 2020 10:15PM

UK to reduce virus quarantine for travellers
Britain says people who return from countries which are not on the travel corridor list should also self-isolate for 10 days instead of 14 days but insists self-isolation remained crucial to stopping the transmission – Pixabay pic, December 11, 2020

LONDON – Britain said today it is going to cut its period of self-isolation from 14 to 10 days for travellers arriving from overseas and people who come into contact with positive coronavirus cases.

The chief medics for the four nations of the UK said in a joint statement they were “confident” in the changes “after reviewing the evidence”.

The new measures are due come into effect in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland on Monday. They already applied to Wales.

The devolved governments in Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast all set their own health policy and have implemented different restrictions to curb the spread of the virus. 

Health policy in England is directed from the UK government in London.

“We can reduce the number of days that contacts self-isolate from 14 days to 10 days,” the chief medical officers said.  

“People who return from countries which are not on the travel corridor list should also self-isolate for 10 days instead of 14 days.”

But they stressed that self-isolation remained crucial to stopping the transmission. 

Britain added another 516 deaths within 28 days of a positive test yesterday, taking the overall toll to more than 63,000 from nearly 1.8 million cases.

Earlier this week Britain became the first country to begin giving the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine at 73 hospitals across the country. 

The programme will be rolled out to doctors’ surgeries next week and in care homes by Christmas.

Concern about rising levels of infection in London and parts of southeast England, however, has prompted the government to begin testing children aged between 11 and 18 in the worst-affected areas.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said yesterday he was “particularly concerned” about spiralling cases among children of secondary school age, which could lead to a rise in older age groups. –  AFP, December 11, 2020

Related News

Events / 2mth

Arrivia, KrisFlyer deepen partnership with launch of cruise redemptions

Opinion / 2mth

Improvement in making Hari Raya Haji travel more bearable

Trending / 3mth

Xiaohongshu and Singapore Tourism Board ink MoU to tap changing outbound travel habits

Opinion / 3mth

The Islamic business revolution in Southern Thailand

Malaysia / 5mth

14,332 company directors barred from traveling overseas due to EPF defaults

Malaysia / 7mth

Free commuter travel for 2 days in conjunction with Thaipusam - Loke

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Robo.ai expects shareholders’ equity to turn positive after restructuring

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir