Business

Top Glove shares dive to lowest in 3 months

This follows grim news of first Covid-19 death among its workers

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Dec 2020 6:20PM

Top Glove shares dive to lowest in 3 months
Investors are spooked by the recent death of a Top Glove worker, raising concerns on whether factory operations can reach optimum level. – The Vibes file pic, December 14, 2020

by Zaidi Isham

KUALA LUMPUR – Shares of Top Glove Corp Bhd dived to their lowest in three months, dragged down by the company’s confirmation that a security guard died after contracting Covid-19, the first fatality since an outbreak at the company’s dormitories and factories in Meru last month.

At the close today, stocks of the world’s largest rubber glovemaker shed 60 sen or 8.7% to settle at RM6.30.

In morning trade, its shares, which opened at RM6.64, climbed as high as RM6.66 on Bursa Malaysia before it lost steam to weaken as low as RM6.25.

A total of 8.1 billion shares were traded with a market capitalisation of RM51.64 billion.

Top Glove shares climbed as high as RM9.76 a year ago.

“Investors were spooked by the death of the worker, raising concerns on whether factory operations can reach optimum level.

“But I think Top Glove shares still have upside potential and the fundamentals of the company is still solid as demand for rubber gloves is still stable as total Covid-19 deaths have already reached 1.6 million worldwide,” an analyst at Maybank Securities told The Vibes.

Yesterday, The Vibes reported that a Nepali security guard working at Top Glove died of Covid-19 complications.

Yam Narayan Chaudhary, who was stationed at Top Glove’s 13th factory in Meru, Klang, died on Saturday after the company admitted him to the nearest hospital on November 21. 

The source said the duties of security guards had been increased at Top Glove during the movement control order in the absence of thermal scanners, and they had been responsible for taking people’s temperatures with handheld scanners.

The outbreak last month at Top Glove facilities forms one of the biggest clusters in the country, in which more than 5,000 workers have tested positive.

A number of its factories has since been forced to close.

Separately, Reuters reported that Top Glove had fired whistle-blower Yubaraj Khadka, also a Nepali, for sharing photos of fellow employees crowding in a factory with a workers’ rights campaigner. 

Top Glove has parried claims of abuse saying that it has already spent millions to improve living conditions in Meru and will be investing a further RM100 million in building new hostels and amenities for 7,300 workers over the next three years. – The Vibes, December 14, 2020

Related News

Business / 2mth

Tycoon Vincent Tan trims BCorp stake further in RM115m share sale

Malaysia / 4mth

Ramanan strongly dismisses allegations linking him to Mr R

Business / 6mth

EPF buys over 40 million Sunway Berhad shares

Malaysia / 6mth

Govt leaves Azam Baki share ownership probe to special committee - Fahmi

Malaysia / 6mth

Azam Baki’s alleged shareholding issue should be debated in Parliament, says Guan Eng

Malaysia / 6mth

Azam Baki to sue foreign news agency for defamation and slander

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Business

Oil prices surge as US-Iran standoff, Ukraine strikes rattle global energy markets

Business

FMM urges input tax credits as government reviews GST features for SST

Business

Oil prices hold above US$84 as Middle East tensions persist

Business

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

Business

Tey Por Yee and four others ordered to pay RM103.75m in SC civil suit