Malaysia

44 illegal e-waste processing factories shut down in Malaysia

Eight of the factories were ordered to cease operations, while legal action is ongoing against the remaining 36 under the Environmental Quality Act 1974 (AKAS 1974).

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 18 Feb 2025 3:37PM

44 illegal e-waste processing factories shut down in Malaysia
Reports emerged about a police raid on an e-waste processing plant in Selangor, where 50 tons of bullets and casings were seized, believed to be illegally melted down. – February 18, 2025

THE Department of Environment (JAS) has taken action against 44 illegal e-waste processing factories as of December 31 last year, according to Minister of Natural Resources and Environment, Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad.

In a statement issued today, the minister revealed that eight of the factories were ordered to cease operations, while legal action is ongoing against the remaining 36 under the Environmental Quality Act 1974 (AKAS 1974).

Nik Nazmi further addressed recent media reports about a factory illegally processing bullet casings, stating that authorities had taken action by suspending operations under Section 38(1)(a) of the same Act. Investigations are underway, and a case file will be prepared for prosecution.

The minister explained that the investigation was conducted under Section 18 of AKAS 1974, as the facility was found to be an off-site storage location for scheduled waste without the necessary license from JAS.

Additionally, the factory failed to submit an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report under Section 34A and improperly stored scheduled waste without approval from the Director-General of Environment, as stipulated under Section 34B.

On February 15, reports emerged about a police raid on an e-waste processing plant in Selangor, where 50 tons of bullets and casings were seized, believed to be illegally melted down.

Nik Nazmi also reaffirmed the government's commitment to ensuring that Malaysia does not become a dumping ground or transit point for e-waste from developed nations.

This commitment aligns with the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal, which mandates that the cross-border movement of scheduled waste, such as e-waste, must be approved before transit, transshipment, import, or export activities occur.

Under the Basel Convention, any e-waste crossing borders must comply with the Prior Informed Consent (PIC) procedure, and any importation without this consent is considered illegal under Article 9.

Furthermore, the convention requires that exporting countries take back the goods within 30 days if the importation occurs without the proper approvals. – February 18, 2025

Related News

Events / 1d

ALL IT brings back e-waste campaign, offers EV bikes as lucky draw prizes

Malaysia / 1d

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

Malaysia / 3d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Events / 1w

Industry experts gather for IPMEX 2026 in Kuala Lumpur

Malaysia / 1w

Thai officer involved in mid-air disturbance on Malaysia-Bangkok flight (video)

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir