Malaysia

Four students detained over alleged orphanage bullying in Melaka

Police launch investigation into assault claims involving a teenage resident, as authorities urge restraint over unverified reports

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 02 May 2026 5:39PM

Four students detained over alleged orphanage bullying in Melaka
The victim was assaulted, kicked, had his head forced into a bucket of water and was dragged across a toilet floor by the suspects (Representational pic) - May 2, 2026

FOUR teenage boys have been detained by police in connection with an alleged bullying incident at an orphanage in Melaka, involving a resident who was reportedly subjected to physical abuse by fellow students.

Melaka police chief Datuk Dzulkhairi Mukhtar said the case came to light after the victim’s mother lodged a report on 29 April at approximately 7.11pm.

She alleged that her son, a student residing at Rumah Anak Yatim Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Al Haj Pantai Puteri, had been bullied by older students known to him.

According to the complaint, the victim was assaulted, kicked, had his head forced into a bucket of water and was dragged across a toilet floor by the suspects.

“Following the report, a team of officers and personnel from the Criminal Investigation Division of the Melaka Tengah District Police Headquarters detained four male students aged between 15 and 16 on April 30 at about 3.45 pm,” he said in a statement.

Police confirmed that all four suspects are secondary school students with no prior criminal records, and urine screening tests conducted on them returned negative results.

Dzulkhairi said the suspects were later released on police bail after their statements were recorded to assist further investigations.

The case is being investigated under Section 507B of the Penal Code, which carries a penalty of up to three years’ imprisonment, a fine, or both upon conviction.

Meanwhile, authorities have urged the public to refrain from speculation and the circulation of unverified information regarding the incident.

Police also advised individuals to seek confirmation from official sources before sharing content on social media, stressing their continued commitment to maintaining public safety and order. - May 2, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality