Malaysia

Any decision on proposed charges MACC's prerogative - Rafizi

Rafizi said the investigation being conducted against him so far is only focused on the procedural aspects and decisions of a joint venture in an investment transaction worth RM1.1 billion.

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 06 May 2026 4:27PM

Any decision on proposed charges MACC's prerogative - Rafizi
So far, the MACC has recorded statements from 22 witnesses, including Rafizi and political analyst James Chai. - May 6, 2026

ANY decision to propose charges in court is the prerogative of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), before being determined by the Attorney General (AG) based on the assessment of the investigation papers.

This was stated by former Economy Minister, Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli, when met by reporters in front of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters here today, as reported by Bernama.

The Member of Parliament for Pandan was present to continue recording his statement on the third day to the MACC to assist in the investigation regarding allegations of abuse of power and irregularities in investment transactions involving a strategic cooperation agreement in the semiconductor industry between the Ministry of Economy and Arm Holdings from the United Kingdom (UK).

Earlier, MACC Chief Commissioner, Tan Sri Azam Baki, said his party was proposing charges against two individuals in connection with the investigation involving a semiconductor investment transaction worth RM1.1 billion with Arm Holdings, which is also a British semiconductor giant.

Azam was reported to have said that his party is currently in the final stages of completing the investigation papers and will submit them to the Deputy Public Prosecutor in the near future.

So far, the MACC has recorded statements from 22 witnesses, including Rafizi and political analyst James Chai.

Meanwhile, Rafizi, when commenting further, informed that the investigation being conducted against him so far is only focused on the procedural aspects and decisions of a joint venture in an investment transaction worth RM1.1 billion.

During the statement recording session, he said that there were no questions that touched on the flow of money or payments as previously alleged.

"There are no (questions about financial transactions) ... so far, there are no questions related to the transactions.

"The questions are all about the joint venture decision and procedures," he said.

Rafizi appeared at the MACC headquarters at 1.50 pm to continue the process of recording his statement.

Last Saturday, MACC Investigation Division Senior Director Datuk Mohd Hafaz Nazar confirmed that Rafizi was summoned to record his statement to assist in the investigation into the case under Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009 relating to abuse of office or position to obtain bribes.

In a separate statement, Mohd Hafaz said Rafizi's presence was aimed at providing cooperation to the MACC in completing the ongoing investigation. – May 6, 2026

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia / 2d

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

Malaysia / 2d

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia / 3d

Wife of Pantai Jerejak ADUN urges court to drop case against husband

Malaysia / 4d

Death of Rocky: Individual expected to be charged tomorrow

Malaysia / 4d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Ronnie Liu’s PBM may be set to ‘punch above its weight’

Malaysia

MEF: Employers want faster approvals and fewer delays

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Kepong MP: Hadi has no immunity from law over alleged anti-DAP claims

Malaysia

Burnt Qurans found near Senawang football field, police investigate

Malaysia

Zahid calls for forensic audit into RM9b Felda losses