Malaysia

Police submit investigation papers over man accused of defying Sultan’s Friday prayers decree

Investigations so far have found no evidence of external influence, and the matter appears to involve only internal elements linked to the suspect

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 08 May 2026 11:34AM

Police submit investigation papers over man accused of defying Sultan’s Friday prayers decree
Selangor police have completed investigations into a 46-year-old man accused of defying the Sultan of Selangor’s decree concerning Friday prayers at Surau Taman Saraya in Ampang - May 8, 2026

SELANGOR police have submitted investigation papers to the Deputy Public Prosecutor’s office following the completion of inquiries into a man accused of defying the Sultan of Selangor’s decree relating to the conduct of Friday prayers at Surau Taman Saraya in Ampang.

Selangor police chief Datuk Shazeli Kahar said the investigation into the 46-year-old suspect had been finalised and forwarded to prosecutors for further instructions.

“We have submitted the investigation papers to the Selangor Deputy Public Prosecutor’s office for further action and direction,” he told reporters during a press conference at the Selangor Police Contingent Headquarters on Friday.

“Investigations so far have found no evidence of external influence, and the matter appears to involve only internal elements linked to the suspect,” he added.

Authorities confirmed that only one individual is currently implicated in the case and that the suspect has since been released on police bail pending further developments.

The man was previously arrested in the Pandan Indah area at approximately 3pm on 26 April, during an operation in which police also seized a laptop computer, a mobile phone and several related documents.

Investigators believe the suspect’s actions were motivated by dissatisfaction over traffic congestion allegedly caused by Friday prayer gatherings in the neighbourhood.

Police inquiries further indicated that the suspect had been unemployed for a period of time and had been residing in the residential area for a considerable duration.

The case is being investigated under Section 4(1) of the Sedition Act 1948, Section 298 of the Penal Code, and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998. - May 8, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Burnt Qurans found near Senawang football field, police investigate

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

MEF: Employers want faster approvals and fewer delays

Malaysia

Ab Rauf rules out meeting Hadi as Melaka election speculation intensifies