Malaysia

Royal identity fraud surges online as MCMC flags over 15,000 fake accounts

Findings prompt an extensive takedown operation amid growing alarm over online abuse involving the monarchy, religion and race

Updated 3 months ago · Published on 09 May 2026 8:19AM

Royal identity fraud surges online as MCMC flags over 15,000 fake accounts
Malaysian authorities have identified 15,296 fraudulent social media accounts impersonating 26 members of the Royal Families between January and April 2026 - May 9, 2026

MALAYSIA’S communications regulator has identified more than 15,000 fake social media accounts impersonating members of the country’s Royal Families in the first four months of 2026, as concerns intensify over the misuse of digital platforms and inflammatory online content linked to sensitive national institutions.

Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) detected 15,296 fraudulent accounts using the identities of 26 royals, including Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah and Tengku Permaisuri Norashikin of Selangor.

According to Fahmi, requests for the removal of the accounts had already been submitted to social media platform providers, with 14,750 accounts successfully taken down to date.

“I express my deepest gratitude to His Royal Highness the Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah Alhaj, for graciously granting me an audience to present the latest report on the removal of fake accounts involving members of the Royal Families for the period between January and April 2026.

“Based on MCMC monitoring and public complaints received, a total of 15,296 fake accounts using the names of 26 members of the Royal Families have been identified,” he said in a Facebook post on Saturday.

Fahmi also said he had briefed the Sultan of Selangor on the implementation of the Electronic Know Your Customer (e-KYC) verification system, which the government views as a key measure to strengthen digital protections for children and families.

“I also express my gratitude for the views, royal decree and advice of His Royal Highness regarding various current issues, particularly the misuse of online platforms and 3R issues involving religion, race and the Royal institution, which have lately become increasingly alarming,” he added.

The minister’s audience with the Selangor ruler comes amid heightened scrutiny of online activity in Malaysia, particularly content touching on the so-called “3R” issues of race, religion and royalty, which authorities say have become increasingly divisive and dangerous in the digital sphere. - May 9, 2026

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

All Malaysia Airlines pilots test negative for drugs

Malaysia

Ab Rauf rules out meeting Hadi as Melaka election speculation intensifies

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Anwar vows stronger Federal ties with Sabah, Sarawak ahead of MA63 talks

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan