Malaysia

Police probe suspected staged kidnapping after woman found safe in less than 24 hours

Investigators believe the purported abduction may have been staged, leading to the detention of both the woman and a male suspect

Updated 2 months ago · Published on 21 Jun 2026 9:48AM

Police probe suspected staged kidnapping after woman found safe in less than 24 hours
A woman in her 20s reported missing in an alleged RM18,000 ransom kidnapping has been rescued within 24 hours in a coordinated nationwide police operation - June 21, 2026

POLICE are investigating a suspected staged kidnapping after rescuing a woman in her 20s less than 24 hours after her mother reported that she had been abducted and held for an RM18,000 ransom.

Royal Malaysia Police Criminal Investigation Department director Datuk M. Kumar said the woman's 43-year-old mother lodged a report at the Padawan District Police Headquarters in Sarawak yesterday, claiming her daughter had been kidnapped and that a ransom had been demanded for her release.

The report prompted the launch of Op Scorpion, with a special task force comprising officers from the Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department working alongside their counterparts in Johor and Sarawak to trace the victim, who was last known to be in Johor Bahru.

"Based on intelligence and information gathered, the special task force successfully rescued the victim at a house in the Taman Perniagaan Setia area of Johor Bahru at about 3.30pm today.

"A 27-year-old man was also arrested at the same location," he said in a statement today.

Police checks revealed that the suspect has three previous arrests on record, comprising two drug-related offences and one criminal offence.

Investigators also seized four mobile phones to assist with the investigation.

Kumar said the case is being investigated under Section 3(1) of the Kidnapping Act 1961 for kidnapping for ransom.

"However, preliminary investigations found that the kidnapping narrative provided by the victim raised doubts, resulting in the woman also being detained to assist with the investigation," he said.

He added that police will apply tomorrow to remand both the male suspect and the woman under Section 12 of the Kidnapping Act 1961.

"The actual motive behind the incident remains under investigation.

"The public is advised not to engage in speculation or make comments that could interfere with the investigation or manipulate the facts in a manner that causes unnecessary public concern," he said. - June 21, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

Makaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

PMX responds to student's invitation to 'Uncle Anwar'

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss