Malaysia

Sabah bars Bersih executive director from entering the state

Parti Bersama Malaysia claims Asraf Sharafi was stopped at Kota Kinabalu International Airport and informed that his name was listed under the Sabah Alert Notice

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 01 Jul 2026 1:27PM

Sabah bars Bersih executive director from entering the state
Bersama demands explanation after Sabah entry ban on Bersih executive director raising questions over use of immigration powers (Photo from Borneo Post) - July 1, 2026

PARTI Bersama Malaysia (Bersama) has urged the Sabah government to provide a formal explanation following the reported entry restriction imposed on Bersih executive director Asraf Sharafi Mohd Azhar upon his arrival at Kota Kinabalu International Airport on 30 June 2026.

According to reports, Asraf was informed by immigration officials that his name had been placed under the Sabah Alert Notice (NAS), resulting in him being barred from entering the state.

Bersama said it respects Sabah’s constitutional authority over immigration matters, as provided under the Federal Constitution and the Immigration Act 1959/63, noting that the state’s autonomy remains a key safeguard of its interests and welfare.

However, the party stressed that such powers must be exercised fairly, responsibly and with clear justification to avoid perceptions of arbitrariness and to maintain public confidence in decision-making processes.

It noted that in Asraf’s case, he is understood to reside in Kota Kinabalu due to family ties and regularly travels between Sabah and Peninsular Malaysia in his capacity as executive director of Bersih.

Bersama said the restriction therefore raises broader concerns not only about governance transparency but also about potential impacts on family welfare and personal circumstances.

The party also questioned whether the entry restriction was linked to the planned “Gempur Rasuah Sabah 3.0” peaceful rally scheduled to take place in Kota Kinabalu on 4 July 2026.

It said the timing of the action, just days before the planned assembly, warranted clarification, particularly in relation to the constitutional rights of citizens to peaceful assembly and freedom of movement within the country in accordance with the law.

Bersama urged the Sabah government to issue an official statement explaining the basis for the decision, saying that transparency was essential to prevent speculation and to reinforce public confidence that Sabah’s immigration autonomy is exercised in a fair, measured and public interest-driven manner.

Party president Syukri Razab said the explanation was necessary to ensure accountability and to uphold trust in the use of state powers. - July 1, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar: Malaysia’s One China policy has not changed since 1974

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Man arrested after viral video shows kitten being beaten with aluminium broom

Malaysia

Singaporean man charged with obstructing police, possessing weapon (video)

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road