Malaysia

Navy faces 2-year wait for new anti-ship missile system after Norway NSM cancellation

The Defence Ministry restarts the procurement process following the cancellation of the Naval Strike Missile programme by the Norwegian dealer

Updated 1 month ago · Published on 07 Jul 2026 2:48PM

Navy faces 2-year wait for new anti-ship missile system after Norway NSM cancellation
Malaysia's plan to equip its Littoral Combat Ships with a replacement anti-ship missile system is expected to take at least two years - July 7, 2026

THE Royal Malaysian Navy will require at least two years to procure a new anti-ship missile system for its Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) after the cancellation of the Naval Strike Missile (NSM) acquisition from Norway, the country's top military commander said.

Chief of Defence Forces General Tan Sri Malek Razak Sulaiman said the replacement programme would effectively begin from scratch, requiring the government to reopen the tender process before selecting a new supplier.

He said four potential suppliers had already been shortlisted, representing France, Türkiye, Italy and South Korea, but the procurement had yet to enter the formal tender stage.

According to Malek, the shortlisted systems will undergo detailed technical and operational evaluations by the Royal Malaysian Navy and the Ministry of Defence before any final decision is made.

"The procurement will take at least two years because this is effectively a new project. We need to review everything again, including the budget and other related matters, so it is essentially a fresh procurement process for us to acquire the anti-ship missile system."

"The decision on the supplier has not been finalised because we have not yet opened the tender. Those are simply the potential suppliers."

BH cited him stressing that the government was seeking to ensure the delay would not affect the operational readiness of the Royal Malaysian Navy's Littoral Combat Ship programme.

"We do not want our operational readiness to be disrupted because the ships will soon be commissioned and enter operational service. Therefore, we must simplify the process and resolve this issue."

Malek was speaking at a press conference following the official launch of the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition 2027 (LIMA'27).

The new procurement exercise follows the cancellation of the original Naval Strike Missile programme, requiring Malaysia to identify an alternative anti-ship missile capability to equip its new fleet of Littoral Combat Ships while maintaining the Navy's planned operational timeline. - July 7, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

Factory clerk loses RM101,000 in fake online job scam

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise