Malaysia

If Shafie a ‘gentleman’, there wouldn’t be 3rd virus wave: Musa

Warisan president’s move to dissolve state assembly instead of handing over power reason for surge in cases, says ex-CM

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Oct 2020 6:54PM

If Shafie a ‘gentleman’, there wouldn’t be 3rd virus wave: Musa
Former Sabah chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman says he is not to blame for the surge in Covid-19 cases that followed the state election last month. – The Vibes file pic, October 19, 2020

KOTA KINABALU – Tan Sri Musa Aman said he is not to blame for the recent surge in Covid-19 infections, instead pointing to Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal for refusing to be a “gentleman” and hand over power in late July.

In an open letter, Musa said the Warisan president’s move to dissolve the state assembly, paving the way for an election, was ultimately what led to the country’s third coronavirus wave.

“Dissatisfied with their election loss, today, we see an onslaught of finger-pointing by Warisan Plus and Pakatan Harapan Plus leaders, including DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang, who conveniently stated that it was my attempt to overthrow Shafie that led to the state election.

“I am compelled to write this letter to set the record straight on the root cause of the escalation in Covid-19 cases in Malaysia, and open the people’s eyes to the lies and slander perpetrated by a well-oiled propaganda machine called Warisan Plus.

“Warisan Plus should admit to being the real reason for the spike in Covid-19 cases in Sabah and the rest of the nation instead of blaming me and the Gabungan Rakyat Sabah (GRS) government.”

In July, Musa claimed that Shafie had lost majority support and urged the then chief minister to step down. However, the latter refused.

The Shafie-led Warisan Plus alliance lost to GRS – comprising Bersatu, Umno, Sabah Star and Parti Bersatu Sabah – by 32 to 41 seats.

DAP lawmaker Teresa Kok, too, has accused Musa of the “original sin” of triggering the September 26 state election, and trying to form a backdoor government.

In response, the former chief minister said it was Pakatan Harapan that supported Shafie’s push for fresh polls.

“It is Shafie, who, in a widely circulated video, said he would rather die than hand back power to me, which is ironic because he was the one who stole the government from us in the first place, right after the 14th general election.

“Shafie made his choice. It was wrong and selfish. Unlike Shafie, other menteris besar and chief ministers had acted responsibly and honourably – they resigned.

“None of these leaders chose to endanger the (lives of) citizens in their respective states.”

He added that he had instructed his lawyers to help prevent the election from being held, given the coronavirus pandemic.

“Our lead counsel pleaded this at length at both the Court of Appeal and Federal Court, and begged the court to stay the election as we did not want to endanger the lives of our people.

“However, counsel representing the former chief minister and Sabah government argued strongly against us and said it was a desperate argument to stop the election.” – The Vibes, October 19, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Sabah and Sarawak can become 'kingmakers', determine who will lead Federal government

Malaysia / 1w

Warisan keeps Sabah pact talks open, pushes for local parties to contest 25 seats

Malaysia / 4w

Sabah does not agree to 200-litre diesel quota, forms special committee - Masidi

Malaysia / 2mth

Tsunami alert: Stay calm and obey instructions from the authorities – Hajiji (video)

Malaysia / 2mth

Sabah embarks on five-year initiative to document multiethnic heritage - Hajiji

Malaysia / 2mth

Anwar - Sabah's special grant interim payment increased from RM600m to RM1.5b

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia

Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Magnitude 5.5 earthquake strikes Flores

Malaysia

Dr Mahathir slams Netanyahu over opposition to Palestinian state

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

SC ready to regulate Tabung Haji investments if required, says chairman

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir