Malaysia

Muhyiddin once advised Sultan not to overreach

Prime Minister had said Royals can give views but not interfere

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Oct 2020 6:45PM

Muhyiddin once advised Sultan not to overreach
Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin may need to have a rethink of his words from July 10, 2019. – Facebook pic, October 29, 2020.

KUALA LUMPUR – A year-old story where Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin was reported as asking Royalty to stay in its lane has been making its rounds of late.

In the article, Muhyiddin who was then Home Minister was responding to the Johor government’s purported U-turn on the definition of youth age.

The amendment to the Youth Societies and Youth Development Act (Amendment) 2019 (Act 668) brought the age of youth from 17 to 40; to 17 to 30 years.

However, the Sultan of Johor and the Tengku Mahkota had decreed that the age limit should be reverted to 40.

“I’ve been told that there have been several U-turns on the issue of youth age due to the views of the Johor Palace.

“This is an administrative matter where the state policies must be consistent with the Federal administration.

“I’ve asked the mentri besar to meet and explain to the Palace and I hope the Palace will not interfere. It can give its views but I hope it does not interfere,” he said.

Muhyiddin who is now Prime Minister may need to have a rethink of his words from July 10, 2019.

The Palace’s seeming “overreach” into the executive role by denying Muhyiddin’s request to declare an emergency last week is in contrast with the Yang Di Pertuan Agong’s latest statement for members of parliament to support the Budget so that funds for the fight against Covid-19 could be allocated.

Observers say it is the same perceived “interference” that has now given Muhyiddin a lifeline as a show of confidence to his administration, while the call for support of the Budget is to prevent a loss of confidence to Muhyiddin’s premiership if the Budget is defeated. – The Vibes, October 29, 2020.

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

Two local firms get access to Arm technology in push for homegrown chip design

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Five arrested as Johor police open three probes into reversed state and Malaysian flags

Malaysia

Misunderstandings, financial factors among top causes of domestic violence - Minister