Malaysia

Budget 2021 to focus on fighting Covid-19, says Muhyiddin

While pledging that billions more will be spent to fight the virus, the prime minister also touched on the difficulty in allowing withdrawals from EPF accounts

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Oct 2020 12:44PM

Budget 2021 to focus on fighting Covid-19, says Muhyiddin
Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin speaks during the opening of the 24th annual general meeting of Koperasi Sungai Terap dan Sungai Raya Muar Berhad at Dewan Sri Permata, SMK Bukit Pasir today. – Bernama pic, October 30, 2020

MUAR – Budget 2021 will provide allocations to curb the spread of Covid-19 as the government steps up its battle against the pandemic, said Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

The government would spell out additional measures in the Budget, which will be tabled on November 6, as part of efforts to return normalcy to the people.

"As a caring government, Perikatan Nasional (PN) will implement additional measures. Before this RM305 billion (has been spent), and Budget 2021 will focus on efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19.

"We have spent almost RM2 billion on the Health Ministry while in Sabah alone, which has been badly hit by Covid-19, about RM400 million has been spent in the past few weeks involving the delivery of food aid to houses and medical supplies,” he added.

Muhyiddin spoke while opening the 24th annual general meeting of Koperasi Sungai Terap dan Sungai Raya Muar Berhad at Dewan Sri Permata, Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Bukit Pasir today.

Also present were Malaysia Cooperative Societies Commission (SKM) executive chairman Datuk Nordin Salleh, Johor police chief Datuk Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay, Bukit Kepong state assemblyman Dr Sahruddin Jamal and Bukit Pasir state assemblyman Kapten (B) Najib Lep.

Muhyiddin said the government was committed to fighting Covid-19 in the coming Budget and would continue to help the people who have been impacted by the pandemic.

"The government had to provide stimulus packages to help the people because certain groups were badly hit. If (during the movement control order) previously some had asked to withdraw from account two of the Employees Provident Fund (EPF), now there are people seeking to withdraw their savings in account one.

"This is quite difficult to implement, as the government has already provided billions (to ease the people’s burden). You can expect more to come as I will be disbursing billions more to help the people.

"The (EPF) savings are for our old age. If we allow this (withdrawal), the people will face another set of problems,” he added.

He admitted that it was tough for the government to strike a balance between protecting lives and livelihoods as it battles to contain the deadly coronavirus.

"Our problem is when we reopen the economic sector, the people start to move about freely to revive the economy. Now, it is quite difficult for the government to strike a balance between the life of the people and efforts to save the economy.

"The government needs to allow the economic sector to operate again as usual but at the same time it has to contain Covid-19 by imposing certain restrictions. This is a difficult matter,” he added.

He expressed his appreciation to the frontliners for their tireless efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19 since the outbreak of the pandemic early this year.

"They have given their all and are exhausted after working day and night to protect lives. This is an extraordinary sacrifice. They are what people call the unsung heroes, so we have to thank the frontliners for sacrificing their time, property and family to help keep us safe from Covid-19," he said.

Muhyiddin, who is Pagoh MP, also said cooperatives, which boast millions of members and assets worth billions of ringgit throughout the country, were the third contributor to the national economy after the government and private sectors.

"This means cooperatives have very big potential for development. In developed countries, cooperatives have ventured into many major fields, and in Malaysia they have made strides too but there are still vast prospects for further progress,” he added. – Bernama, October 30, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Former PM Ismail Sabri expected to be charged tomorrow

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin could remain Bersatu president despite court cases, say observers

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin’s 4 power abuse charges linked to Jana Wibawa remain

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin claims trial to sedition charge

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin in court to face sedition charges

Malaysia / 1y

Muhyiddin expected to be charged tomorrow over alleged 3R remarks

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

Pahang hospitals test drones to deliver blood samples

Malaysia

Two cyclists killed after car swerves into them on Putrajaya road

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion

Malaysia

Anwar: Malaysia’s One China policy has not changed since 1974

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor