Malaysia

High Court allows logging companies’ injunction against villagers

The eight villagers had allegedly obstructed the extraction of forest produce near Kg Baharu in Jerantut

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Nov 2020 11:09PM

High Court allows logging companies’ injunction against villagers
Logging companies Beijing Million Sdn Bhd and Rosah Timber & Trading Sdn Bhd claim they were disturbed by the villagers, who had obstructed their work, uploaded pictures and posted inaccurate statements about them on Facebook. – Facebook pic, November 5, 2020

KUANTAN – The High Court here today allowed the application by two logging companies for a permanent inter-parte injunction filed against eight villagers who allegedly obstructed the extraction of forest produce near Kg Baharu in Jerantut, about 120 kilometres from here.

Judge Datuk Zainal Azman Ab Aziz made the decision after being satisfied there was a basis for the court to allow the companies’ application as plaintiffs, having examined the affidavits filed by both parties regarding the logging licensing issue for the 202.61ha area in Compartment One of the Jerantut Forest Reserve.

In his judgment, Zainal Azman said the plaintiffs had been given the right to extract forest produce from Yayasan Pahang as the concession holder, as well as the licence to do so from the director of the Pahang Forestry Department on January 28, 2019, which went to show that the plaintiffs had complied with the stipulated conditions.

“The defendants also through their affidavit stated that they had written to the menteri besar and Forestry Department director and also did not deny having enclosed pictures clearly irrelevant to the area in this case. Instead, they expressed concern that if the project proceeded, it could cause river pollution.     

"However, the area mentioned by the defendants is not the affected compartment and should not specifically state that this (pollution) will occur if the compartment was explored.

“In this matter, the state government had approved the project, apart from the Forestry Department, and the plaintiffs should be given the right to realise the agreement with Yayasan Pahang,” he said.

Zainal Azman then fixed April 13 to 15 next year for trial.

Logging companies Beijing Million Sdn Bhd and Rosah Timber & Trading Sdn Bhd filed the application on July 14 through lawyer Datuk Jacob Goldie, after claiming that they were disturbed by the defendants’ action, who had obstructed the work, uploaded pictures, and posted inaccurate statements about the plaintiffs on Facebook.

The eight defendants are Mohamed Said, 62; Mohamed Zarrif Mahmud, 29; Mohamad Hafizi Rosnan, 30; Saifulnizam Sulaiman, 33; Sukmarizal Nazman, 27; Shukran Firdaus Nazman, 29; Mohammad Zakirin Hasan, 36; and Mohamad Lozi Mohd Nasir, 45. 

They are all represented by counsel Charles Hector Fernandez.

The plaintiffs said they started making preparations by bringing machinery into the site on February 19, 2020, but the work was disrupted by the defendants to the extent of forcing the workers to leave the area and lodge a police report to ensure their personal safety.

The incident caused the Jerantut Forestry Office to issue a work suspension letter effective February 20 until the issue is resolved, which also resulted in the plaintiffs incurring losses.

The plaintiffs said they directed their lawyer to send a notice to all the defendants asking them to stop their action on February 12, 2020, but it was ignored.

That led to the plaintiffs sending a letter of notification on June 10 to the defendants informing them that legal action would be taken, including applying for an injunction against them. – Bernama, November 5, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 10mth

Forestry Officer pleads not guilty to accepting bribes to help obtain logging licence

Malaysia / 1y

SK Durian headmaster dies in road accident

Malaysia / 1y

Natives in Sarawak set up human blockades to stop logging activities

Malaysia / 1y

Natives fear destruction of virgin forests due to big-scale logging

Malaysia / 2y

Regent of Pahang rescues eagle trapped in a fishing net

Malaysia / 2y

Investigate logjams choking central Sarawak rivers, rep tells authorities

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Singaporean man charged with obstructing police, possessing weapon (video)

Malaysia

Pahang hospitals test drones to deliver blood samples

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

Malaysia Airlines plane aborts take-off after black smoke seen at Narita Airport

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire