Malaysia

Heed court order and free 29 held over Banting shooting, Indian leaders tell cops

Charles Santiago says DPP has declared ‘no further action’, while P. Ramasamy instructs lawyers to expedite group’s release bid

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Nov 2020 11:09AM

Heed court order and free 29 held over Banting shooting, Indian leaders tell cops
Klang MP Charles Santiago says the Petaling Jaya magistrates’ court recently ordered the group’s release, but they remain in police custody. – Facebook pic, November 13, 2020

GEORGE TOWN – Two leaders of the Indian community have called for the release of 29 people detained in September, in relation to a shooting near a school in Banting.

Klang MP Charles Santiago, in a statement today, said the Petaling Jaya magistrates’ court recently ordered the group’s release, but they remain in police custody.

“They were initially arrested over a shooting incident that took place in Banting in September, then investigated for a murder that took place in 2018, and arrested under the Prevention of Crime Act 1959 (Poca) and Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (Sosma). They were also rearrested for a murder that happened in 2016.

“At least two magistrates did not allow remand. On Tuesday, the investigating officer for the Sosma case informed the families that the deputy public prosecutor had minuted no further action against the 29.”

He said the group will possibly be brought to court today to be detained under Poca.

“These people were arrested for numerous criminal offences that they did not commit and for which they were never charged.”

Video footage has surfaced of the detainees huddled together, despite the government’s advice on physical distancing to curb the spread of Covid-19.

“This amounts to an atrocious crime, where police are using their authority to send them from one prison to another, increasing their exposure to possible Covid-19 infection.

“I urge the government to set up the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission as opposed to its watered-down version, to ensure that police do not take the law into their own hands.”

Penang Deputy Chief Minister II P. Ramasamy yesterday urged the force to explain the investigation into the group as Deepavali looms.

“I am made to understand that despite the court order to release them, police are still holding them in custody. I am not sure under which law they were arrested and remanded, but there are suspicions that they might be detained under Sosma.”

He said the family members of those arrested are urging police to free the detainees without further delay.

Ramasamy has instructed lawyers to file a habeas corpus application in court, in a bid to expedite their release.

The 29 suspects were arrested in a police operation earlier this month following the shooting in Banting.

In a statement, Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief Fadzil Ahmad said Ops Blackjack saw 19 people detained on suspicion of involvement in gang activities and organised crime.

“Further investigations were carried out under Sosma. Subsequently, 10 others were arrested, bringing the total number of suspects to 29.”

He said probe papers were submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers on October 27.

“It is hoped that the charging of these suspects will bring an end to gang activities and organised crime around Banting, Kuala Langat, and the whole of Selangor.”

In the September 25 incident in Banting, a businessman and his bodyguard were shot near a school. Three students were injured when the businessman’s driver crashed into them.

It was reported that police believe the shooting was triggered by a fight between two groups. – The Vibes, November 13, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

Film / 1mth

Netflix film with Mark Wahlberg a major boost to Penang’s international profile

Fashion / 1mth

Beyond weddings and festivals: How BIBA is reshaping perceptions of Indian fashion in Malaysia

World / 1mth

Man jailed for molesting Singapore Airlines stewardess while friends laughed

Off beat / 2mth

KLSICCI presidential candidate says it's time to restore glory, empower the future

Malaysia / 2mth

Calls grow for ‘premium wage’ model as talent flight concerns mount

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Pahang hospitals test drones to deliver blood samples

Malaysia

Jana Wibawa witness: Muhyiddin never asked for RM1m Bersatu donation

Malaysia

Sarawak haze shuts 591 schools across 10 districts

Malaysia

Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses

Malaysia

Fahmi to summon telco CEOs over SIM cards allegedly used by scam syndicates

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’