Malaysia

GE15: MACC now raiding Invoke, claims Rafizi after Mangkubumi allegations

This follows watchdog allegedly doing the same to his office, says PKR deputy president

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 16 Nov 2022 12:20PM

GE15: MACC now raiding Invoke, claims Rafizi after Mangkubumi allegations
Rafizi Ramli alleges that the RM2 billion flood mitigation project awarded to Mangkubumi Sdn Bhd was suggested by the Environment and Water Ministry. – ABDUL RAZAK LATIF/The Vibes pic, November 16, 2022

by Nicole Ng

KUALA LUMPUR – PKR deputy president Rafizi Ramli has alleged that the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is executing a raid at the Invoke Solutions Sdn Bhd office at 12pm.

This comes after his claim last night that MACC had raided his office and questioned his staff for seven hours.

The Vibes has also reached out to MACC in an effort to verify Rafizi’s claims.

In a press conference today, Rafizi alleged that the RM2 billion flood mitigation project awarded to Mangkubumi Sdn Bhd was suggested by the Environment and Water Ministry.

“(Caretaker minister) Datuk Seri Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man cannot say that he knew nothing about it. If he really doesn’t know, has he been 'makan gaji buta' (being paid for not doing work)?”

Speaking at an Ayuh Malaysia ceramah here last night, he told a 5,000-strong crowd that he would reveal details of alleged wrongdoings of the government’s decision to award Mangkubumi the Sg Langat 2 flood mitigation project through direct negotiation.

Rafizi today said the flood mitigation project was not the only one awarded to Mangkubumi, adding that the government had awarded a sewage project to the company after the dissolution of Parliament last month.

“I don’t know what they are doing. This company seems to want to do everything, from flood mitigation to sewage.”

He also revealed an approval letter, purportedly issued by the Finance Ministry, for funding for the projects awarded to Mangkubumi, dated October 27, 2022, which is 17 days after Parliament was dissolved. 

“The way it works, if it’s not an open tender, the project is authorised once the Finance Ministry has approved it. It does not matter whether an acceptance letter has been issued to the company, which is the excuse Tuan Ibrahim is hiding behind.

“The project is authorised when the Finance Ministry has approved it, which is dated on October 27, according to this letter. An acceptance letter is only an operational agreement.”

He added that he is confident enough with the documents on hand to meet Tuan Ibrahim in court.

“He was given one week to explain, but the best he could do was to keep quiet or deny the issue altogether.”

He also urged Tuan Ibrahim and caretaker finance minister Datuk Seri Tengku Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz to clarify why all Environment and Water Ministry projects were awarded via direct negotiation to only one company, and what “special relationship” they have with Mangkubumi for it to deserve such “special treatment”.

“What MACC should be investigating are these – the projects awarded to Mangkubumi. If they investigate me, they will find nothing.

“It is my duty as part of the Pakatan Harapan leadership to expose and discuss matters related to the rakyat’s money and welfare. Everyone seems to understand this except MACC.”

Last week, Tuan Ibrahim reportedly issued a letter of demand via law firm Yusfarizal Aziz & Zaid, demanding Rafizi to provide in seven days a draft of an apology and a statutory declaration to stop publishing, writing, or issuing similar statements.

Rafizi will be running for the Pandan seat on the Pakatan Harapan ticket while Tuan Ibrahim is seeking to defend Kubang Kerian. – The Vibes, November 16, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia / 2d

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia / 4d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia / 4d

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia / 1w

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Malaysia / 1w

MACC, Customs task force must become catalyst for smarter border and better container governance

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia

Burnt Qurans found near Senawang football field, police investigate

Malaysia

Kelantan Police Chief says some parents still defend drug-addict children

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

Budget 2027: Cost of living to take centre stage as government weighs global risks