Malaysia

T’ganu sultanah defamation case: Rewcastle-Brown to ask AGC to drop charge

Sarawak Report editor’s counsel says this follows court’s dismissal of suit

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 12 Dec 2022 6:59PM

T’ganu sultanah defamation case: Rewcastle-Brown to ask AGC to drop charge
Clare Rewcastle-Brown, who is from the United Kingdom, was charged in absentia at the Kuala Terengganu magistrates’ court on September 23, 2021, for criminal defamation under Section 500 of the Penal Code which carries a jail term of up to two years or a fine or both, if convicted. – Clare Rewcastle-Brown Facebook pic, December 12, 2022

KUALA LUMPUR – Sarawak Report editor, Clare Rewcastle-Brown, will submit a representation to the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) to cancel the charge of issuing defamatory statements against Sultanah of Terengganu Sultanah Nur Zahirah through The Sarawak Report: The Inside Story of the 1MDB Expose book.

Her counsel, Guok Ngek Seong, said this is following the high court’s decision on October 31, which dismissed the defamation suit filed by Sultanah Nur Zahirah against her client involving the Terengganu Investment Authority in the book.

Rewcastle-Brown, who is from the United Kingdom, was charged in absentia at the Kuala Terengganu magistrates’ court on September 23, 2021, for criminal defamation under Section 500 of the Penal Code which carries a jail term of up to two years or a fine or both, if convicted.

“The representation will be handed over to the AGC this week,” Guok said when contacted after the case management before high court deputy registrar Catherine Nicholas today.

On October 31, judicial commissioner John Lee Kien How @ Mohd Johan, rejected the defamation suit on the grounds that there were no defamatory statements in the book, even though there was clearly a mistaken identity issue, and ordered RM80,000 in costs to be paid to Rewcastle-Brown and other defendants, namely publisher Cheong Ton Sin and printer, Vinlin Press Sdn Bhd.

According to Guok, today was supposed to be the hearing of his client’s application to transfer the case from the Kuala Terengganu magistrates’ court to the high court here before judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan, but it was postponed to February 2.

He said deputy public prosecutor Noor Haslinda Che Seman had also informed the deputy registrar that the trial in the Kuala Terengganu magistrates’ court had been fixed to begin next month. – Bernama, December 12, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Clare Rewcastle-Brown given 2 years’ jail for defaming Terengganu Sultanah

Malaysia / 3y

[UPDATED] Guan Eng ordered to pay RM250,000 in damages to Azeez for defamation

Malaysia / 3y

SM Faisal’s suit against activist reaches amicable settlement

Malaysia / 3y

Apologise, pay me RM10 mil or I’ll sue, Amirudin tells Sanusi

Malaysia / 3y

Muhyiddin sues Anwar over Felda debt waiver claims

Malaysia / 3y

Court sets Aug 8 to hear Apandi’s appeal in defamation suit against Kit Siang

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

Elderly man, son and granddaughter burnt to death in Sabah house fire

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level