Malaysia

No element of negligence in last year’s big blackout: govt

Maintenance work at Yong Peng North substation happened as scheduled, probe finds

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 16 Jan 2023 7:47PM

No element of negligence in last year’s big blackout: govt
A screen grab of a video showing the Yong Peng North substation during the incident in July last year. – Screen grab pic, January 16, 2023

PUTRAJAYA – There was no element of negligence in the major power outage in several areas in the peninsula on July 27, 2022, caused by a tripping incident at the Yong Peng North main intake substation in Johor.

The Natural Resources, Environment and Climate Change Ministry (NRECC) said this was the finding of the investigation committee comprising independent technical experts formed by the Energy Commission to conduct a thorough investigation into the case.

The Yong Peng North substation has been operating since 1987 and is an essential point in the grid system connecting the southern region with the central and northern regions.

The electricity supply disruption affected several areas in the peninsula, including Petaling Jaya, Cheras, and Bangi in the Klang Valley; Bayan Lepas and Seberang Jaya in Penang; Panchor, Johor; and Bandar Indera Mahkota, Pahang.

In a statement today, NRECC said the incident was caused by a fault in the disconnector equipment at the Yong Peng North substation, which created a flashover that hit the adjacent line, resulting in the substation being tripped.

“This incident caused the grid system to split into two regions with different operating frequencies, namely 48.9Hz in the central region and 51Hz in the southern region,” it said.

In order to stabilise the grid frequency in the central region, the under frequency load shedding mechanism was activated to prevent the grid system from being completely paralysed, with a load loss of 2,269MW involving 65 substations.

“The investigation found that the maintenance work at the Yong Peng North substation was carried out according to the proper schedule, and no elements of negligence were identified as the cause of the incident,” he said.

According to NRECC, Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) took swift action and replaced all disconnectors at the Yong Peng North substation.

The ministry said the investigation was also to determine whether the incident complied with TNB’s guaranteed service level (GSL), as it will be the basis for determining whether the customers involved are eligible for rebates.

“Based on the GSL review, it was found that TNB completed the supply restoration process within two hours and 23 minutes – still within the specified time.

“Therefore, there is no penalty in the form of rebates for consumers imposed on TNB,” the statement read. – Bernama, January 16, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 4mth

Temporary baggage system disruption at KLIA Terminal 1 resolved (video)

Malaysia / 2y

[UPDATED] Johor MB pans shameful prolonged power outage at border crossing

Malaysia / 3y

Three found dead in car at Yong Peng lay-by

World / 3y

Flights cancelled as power outage hits Manila’s international airport

Malaysia / 3y

Sabah govt building Menara Kinabalu without power since Mon

World / 3y

Power outage hits Pakistan’s population of over 220 mil

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Ab Rauf rules out meeting Hadi as Melaka election speculation intensifies

Malaysia

Poor air quality: Sharp rise in asthma cases

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

Neighbourly dispute turns violent, 80-year-old struck with iron rod

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote