Malaysia

MACC investigates latest developments in Ku Nan’s RM1 mil graft case

Anti-graft agency to again present probe papers to AG’s Chambers

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Dec 2020 7:32PM

MACC investigates latest developments in Ku Nan’s RM1 mil graft case
Former Federal Territories minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor is waiting for the outcome of another case. – Bernama pic, December 7, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has initiated investigations into the latest developments in Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor’s RM1 million graft case.

In a statement today, the anti-graft agency said it will again present probe papers to the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC).

Today, the Kuala Lumpur High Court granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal to the former Federal Territories minister.

“Despite a discharge not amounting to an acquittal, he can still be charged if the AGC allows it,” said MACC.

It added that Tengku Adnan is waiting for the outcome of another case, unrelated to today’s.

This morning, judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali made the ruling after deputy public prosecutor Julia Ibrahim told the court that the prosecution has decided not to proceed with the case.

“There are new developments in the case that need to be investigated further. The prosecution does not want to waste the court’s time because we do not know how long it will take to investigate the new developments,” said Julia.

“The prosecution is unable to elaborate further. We can only inform the court that there has been a complaint filed with MACC regarding a witness in this case.”

The Putrajaya MP’s trial was supposed to resume today.

He was charged with corruptly receiving RM1 million from businessman Datuk Tan Eng Boon, who has pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of abetting the politician, and fined RM1.5 million.

The money was deposited into Tengku Adnan’s CIMB account as an inducement to assist an application by Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd to increase the company’s plot ratio with regard to a development project at Lot 228 in Jalan Semarak here.

Tengku Adnan also faces an alternative charge, in his capacity as then Federal Territories minister, of receiving for himself RM1 million from Tan via a Public Bank cheque belonging to Pekan Nenas Industries Sdn Bhd, which was deposited into his CIMB account, knowing that Tan, as a Nucleus Properties director, had connections with his official duties.

The trial before Nazlan began on September 20 last year, with the prosecution calling two witnesses to testify.

Tengku Adnan was also charged with having received for himself RM2 million from Aset Kayamas Sdn Bhd director Tan Sri Chai Kin Kong.

With the trial before high court judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan completed, the court fixed December 21 for a decision. – The Vibes, December 7, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1d

MACC studying petroleum cargo issue, says source

Malaysia / 2d

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia / 4d

MACC probe into Dr Xavier Jayakumar closed in 2024 over lack of evidence

Malaysia / 4d

Maritime expert urges MACC to break silence on petroleum cargo commingling issue

Malaysia / 1w

RCI TH: MACC detains 7, including those with 'Datuk' and 'Datuk Seri' titles

Malaysia / 1w

Datuk Seri charged with embezzlement of company funds exceeding RM37 million

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

Police probe viral street race after motorcycle riders block Johor expressway

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Kepong MP: Hadi has no immunity from law over alleged anti-DAP claims

Malaysia

Neighbourly dispute turns violent, 80-year-old struck with iron rod

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security