Malaysia

Action against Telegram shouldn’t affect users too much: Fahmi

Comms minister says govt yet to scrutinise MCMC’s recommendations, will decide soon

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 03 Jun 2023 3:58PM

Action against Telegram shouldn’t affect users too much: Fahmi
Communications and Digital Minister Fahmi Fadzil has clarified that the government will ensure that any actions taken against Telegram will not impact its users too much as the ministry acknowledges its wide-spread use. – ALIF OMAR/The Vibes file pic, June 3, 2023

SG PETANI – The government will ensure any form of action that may be imposed on Telegram will have a minimal impact on its users, said Communications and Digital Minister Fahmi Fadzil. 

Fahmi said the ministry was aware that the application was widely used, especially by certain communities, including schools and media practitioners, for video and image transmission. 

He said that the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) is still examining the action against Telegram, whose management has not yet cooperated with the government to discuss issues related to the content and misuse of the application. 

“So if it is decided that cooperation from Telegram’s side is not very positive, then we will ensure that any action to be taken will not affect users too much. 

“We expect that the government will make a decision soon. We have yet to scrutinise recommendations from the MCMC, but insyaAllah, it will not be too long from now,” he told reporters after officiating the Kota Kuala Muda Digital Economy Centre (PEDi) Community Day here today.  

Elaborating, Fahmi said the ministry received many complaints regarding the content and misuse of the application, including the sale of pornographic materials, drugs and investment scams that should be curbed, but there has been no action from Telegram so far. 

“Other platforms cooperated by attending a meeting when invited, which is not a problem. But so far, Telegram has not cooperated with MCMC as a regulatory body,” he said. 

Commenting on Telegram’s statement that did not want to participate in any form of political censorship, Fahmi said it was up to MCMC to contact the platform’s management or issue a counter statement. 

“As a member of the administration (government), I look at everything from the legal and policy perspectives. And as a sovereign country that has the power and the right to decide its policy, I believe that the law in our country must be respected,” he said. 

Meanwhile, Fahmi said the ministry is in the planning process to build 186 new PEDi to ensure that all state constituencies have at least one centre for the local community to benefit from them. 

“We expect it will take approximately 12 to 18 months to build all these PEDi because it involves tenders and contracts and this is being worked on by telecommunication companies through collaboration with MCMC,” he said.

Also present at the programme were Communications and Digital Ministry secretary-general Datuk Mohamad Fauzi Md Isa and Malaysian Bernama chief executive officer Roslan Ariffin. – Bernama, June 3, 2023

Related News

Malaysia / 4w

Over 3 billion suspicious SMS, 2.5 billion fraudulent calls blocked by MCMC

Events / 1mth

International Regulatory Conference (IRC) 2026 offers global platform for dialogue

Malaysia / 2mth

Malaysia begins enforcing social media age verification

Malaysia / 2mth

Thailand moves to stop lawsuits from being used to silence critics

Malaysia / 2mth

Uploading videos: Social media users need to understand limits, avoid disrupting investigations – Fahmi

Malaysia / 2mth

Online fraud: Number of cases, losses continue to rise – deputy minister

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

Malaysia

CAP claims existence of 'Malaysian Epstein Class' behind Tabung Haji scandal

Malaysia

Putra Heights tragedy report expected to be released as early as October

Malaysia

Former investment bank CEO charged with RM139.8m fraud

Malaysia

Mother’s use of anxiety medication during pregnancy caused baby to test positive for drugs

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Teenager shot in both legs while fetching water in Lawas

Malaysia

5.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Bali Sea

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media