Malaysia

Bung Moktar denies signing statutory declaration supporting Anwar as PM

This comes after a source close to Anwar reportedly claimed that 10 Umno MPs have backed the opposition leader

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 13 Dec 2020 6:22PM

Bung Moktar denies signing statutory declaration supporting Anwar as PM
Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin says that if the assertion that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has majority support is true, then the statutory declarations should be brought to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, without having statements circulated about it. – The Vibes pic, December 13, 2020.

KOTA KINABALU – Umno’s Kinabatangan MP Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin strongly denied being one of the ten Umno MPs who allegedly signed statutory declarations to support opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim as prime minister.

Bung Moktar, the Sabah Barisan Nasional chairman and state deputy chief minister, said it was not easy for a political leader to gain support in the form of statutory declarations as the stakes are high and can determine the country’s government. 

“I do not know how my name got involved in this. I made a statement last month to clarify that I have never supported any party. We, as individuals, never supported any party, including Anwar, to lead the country,” he said. 

Yesterday, Astro Awani reported a source as saying that Anwar, who is Port Dickson MP and PKR president, will again try to convince the king that he has enough support from the MPs.

The source, said to be a close aide of Anwar, was quoted as saying that Anwar now has 113 support letters in the form of statutory declarations, including former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak (Pekan MP), current president Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (Bagan Datoh MP), and Bung Moktar.

In a statement today, Bung Moktar said the claim that he had signed the declaration was a speculation made by irresponsible people. 

“Or maybe a certain party is making the speculation on purpose,” he said, adding that he has to focus on people’s problems instead of entertaining such rumours.

Bung Moktar asked to stop talking about the issue, especially on social media, so as to not confuse the people.

“Even though our country is a democratic country, social media can be abused. Please stop confusing the people,” he said.

He said if the assertion that Anwar has majority support is true, then the statutory declarations should be brought to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, without having statements circulated about it. 

“Anyone with the confidence can go and meet the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. But don’t make an appointment to see him with empty hands,” he said. – The Vibes, December 13, 2020.

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Bung Moktar slams GRS leaders as ‘all talk and no action’

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar proposes four cooperation areas to empower Asean

Malaysia / 2y

Anwar to meet Japanese counterpart Kishida in Tokyo today

Malaysia / 2y

Warisan says mulling electoral pact with Sabah BN

Malaysia / 2y

PM says no honeymoon period for cabinet members

Malaysia / 2y

Sabah given more than it requires, says MP

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

API below 200: All schools in Sarawak will reopen tomorrow

Malaysia

UIAM clarifies Dr Solehah Yaacob no longer with university

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

Ab Rauf rules out meeting Hadi as Melaka election speculation intensifies

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court