Malaysia

Najib, Rosmah, 16 others’ seized luxury items remain unclaimed

Third party absent from court despite prior request to halt forfeiture of goods

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Dec 2020 4:15PM

Najib, Rosmah, 16 others’ seized luxury items remain unclaimed
The full hearing for the government's forfeiture bid involving former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and 17 others will be held on March 26 next year. – The Vibes file pic, December 14, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – No third parties came to the high court here today to claim the luxury items, including designer handbags, shoes, watches, cash and 27 cars, seized from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, his wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, and 16 others.

Deputy public prosecutor Faten Hadni Khairuddin told reporters that the court had earlier set today for any third party to claim the seized items.

“There was a third party who contacted the court regarding the seized items and was asked to come today, but as at 11am, no one came,” she said after the case management before high court deputy registrar Catherine Nicholas.

The application for the issuance of the notice to the third parties was submitted by the prosecution to enable the third parties to appear in court in person or through a lawyer to provide a reason as to why the items cannot be forfeited to the government.

Faten Hadni said the court has set March 26 next year for the full hearing.

The prosecution had earlier filed a notice to forfeit the items and named Najib, Rosmah, their children Nor Ashman Razak and Nooryana Najwa Mohd Najib, Riza Shahriz Abdul Aziz (Najib’s stepson), Mohd Kyizzad Mesran, Senijauhar Sdn Bhd, Aiman Ruslan, Yayasan Rakyat 1Malaysia, Yayasan Semesta; Yayasan Mustika Kasih, Rembulan Kembara Sdn Bhd, Goh Gaik Ewe (Low Taek Jho’s mother), Roger Ng Chong Hwa (former Goldman Sachs bank officer), his wife Lim Hwee Bin, Kee Kok Thiam, Tan Vern Tact and Geh Choh Hun as the first to 18th respondents.

The items, comprising hundreds of designer handbags, shoes, watches, and cash in various currencies including RM537,000, old ringgit (RM187,750), 2,870,000 Sri Lankan rupees, 320,500 pound sterling, 13,177,000 Indonesian rupiah, 100 US dollars, 376 Ukrainian hryvnia, 20 euros, 50 francs, 10 South African rand, 40,531 Singaporean dollars, 531 Saudi riyals, and 740 Philippine pesos, were seized by the police in raids on May 17 and June 11, 2018.

On August 2, 2018, police also seized 27 Nissan cars, as well as a piece of land in Tg Bungah, Penang, from them. – Bernama, December 14, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 4mth

Rosmah: ‘There was no obligation for me to buy any of the jewellery’

Opinion / 1y

A tribute revisited: Why I needed hope

Malaysia / 1y

1MDB trial postponed again as Najib remains in hospital

Malaysia / 1y

1MDB trial postponed as Najib warded at HKL

Malaysia / 1y

Jho Low didn’t represent Najib, says Shafee in 1MDB trial

Malaysia / 1y

Najib brought Malaysia to excellence, says Zahid’s daughter

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Bersatu ‘technically’ no longer PN member, says Takiyuddin

Malaysia

Neighbourly dispute turns violent, 80-year-old struck with iron rod

Malaysia

Govt targets 30% cut in imported seed dependence by 2040

Malaysia

Sarawak haze worsens as 10 areas record unhealthy air quality

Malaysia

Malaysia urges ASEAN to tighten action against haze