Malaysia

Pekan Umno, SUPP get back RM900,000 seized by MACC

Court rules evidence to prove monies are proceeds of unlawful activity not sufficient

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 14 Dec 2020 6:47PM

Pekan Umno, SUPP get back RM900,000 seized by MACC
The funds were allegedly linked to the 1MDB scandal and transferred from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s personal account. – The Vibes file pic, December 14, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – Funds belonging to Pekan Umno and Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) amounting to RM700,000 and RM188,138.26 respectively, which were seized by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), have been returned to the two parties.

The funds were allegedly linked to the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal and transferred from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s personal account.

Deputy public prosecutor from the MACC Abdul Rashid Sulaiman said during case management before high court judge Datuk Ahmad Shahrir Mohd Salleh today that “the banks have returned the funds amounting to RM700,000 to Perak Umno and RM188,138.26 to SUPP".

“As such, the prosecution is withdrawing the application for stay of execution of the previous court decision in dismissing our application to forfeit the funds seized from Pekan Umno and SUPP,” he said, and the court agreed.

On September 17, the court dismissed MACC’s forfeiture application against Pekan Umno after finding that the applicant had failed to prove that the RM700,000 seized from the party were the proceeds of unlawful activity.

In his judgment, Shahrir said the respondents contended that the sum of RM700,000 was fully utilised to defray expenses for utilities, purchase of equipment and other payments for the first respondent and that the account balance appearing in the account of the first respondent on the date the freezing order was served did not originate from the impugned accounts of Najib.

In dismissing the MACC’s application to forfeit RM188,138.26 from SUPP on August 19, Shahrir said the court found that the anti-graft agency had not adduced sufficient evidence to support its application to warrant an order for forfeiture to be granted.

In June last year, former MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya had said the MACC had filed a civil forfeiture suit against 41 respondents to forfeit about RM270 million allegedly linked to the 1MDB scandal and received by the respondents from Najib.

She said the action was taken under the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001. – Bernama, December 14, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia / 4d

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

Malaysia / 5d

BN, UMNO preparing to ‘back stab’ unity government - Puad Zarkashi

Malaysia / 6d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 6d

DAP faced a Hobson’s choice

Malaysia / 1w

Anwar dismisses KJ’s claims of strained relations with Zahid

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Teacher, six-year-old child killed as MPV skids, lands in ravine

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

Malaysia

Teen found dead after disappearing during tahfiz programme in Negeri Sembilan

Malaysia

Malaysians urged to rethink travel to southern Thailand after 51 violent incidents

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court