World

US to unseal charges against bombing suspect

Libyan man allegedly assembled device that blew up Pan Am Flight 103

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Dec 2020 9:10AM

US to unseal charges against bombing suspect
A United States airliner blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, killing 270 people, including 190 Americans and 11 people on the ground. – Wikipedia pic, December 17, 2020

WASHINGTON – The United States plans to unseal charges soon against a Libyan man suspected of assembling the bomb that blew up a United States airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, US newspapers reported yesterday.

The suspect, Abu Agila Mohammad Masud, is currently held by Libyan authorities, according to The Wall Street Journal, and US authorities are seeking his extradition to stand trial in the US.

The New York Times said Masud’s exact whereabouts are unknown, but he was imprisoned in Libya at one point for unrelated crimes.

The Journal said Masud, alleged to have been a top bomb-maker for the late Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi, is suspected of assembling the device that blew up Pan Am Flight 103.

The newspapers said US prosecutors are expected to unseal charges soon against Masud.

Monday is the 32nd anniversary of the bombing that killed 270 people, including 190 Americans and 11 people on the ground.

The Journal said the case against Masud is based largely on a confession he gave to Libyan authorities in 2012, as well as travel and immigration records.

In a statement, the FBI said while it “cannot comment on any upcoming announcement, we can assure the public and most importantly, the families of the Pan Am 103 victims, that we have worked tenaciously for 32 years to investigate this horrific terrorist attack.”

“Domestic and foreign partners alike have been focused on identifying who was responsible for the bombing,” the bureau said in a statement.

“Just as in any investigation, the FBI is persistent in our investigations with a dedicated focus on the victims of crime and terrorism.”

Two Libyans were put on trial in the Netherlands for their alleged roles in the attack and one of them, Abdelbaset Mohmet Al-Megrahi, was convicted in 2001.

Megrahi, a former Libyan intelligence officer, was sentenced to life in prison, but was released in 2009 and died in 2012.

A court in Scotland last month heard a posthumous appeal against his conviction brought by his family and the judges who heard the case are mulling their ruling.

The outgoing US attorney general, Bill Barr, was the acting attorney general when the first charges were brought against Megrahi and the other Libyan official in 1991. – AFP, December 17, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

SAFM demands fair, transparent probe into Rocky's death

Malaysia / 2w

#JusticeForRocky: Public outcry grows over dog’s death during Klang council operation

Malaysia / 3w

#JusticeForRocky – Owners call for justice after dog tortured and killed by youths

Opinion / 1mth

Forget the judges. Book the studio

World / 1mth

Spain refuses to stay silent as pressure mounts on defenders of international justice

Malaysia / 1mth

Transparency, not silence, is how institutions earn trust, says former Mongolian PM

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline