World

Bus explosions: Israeli prime minister instructs military to carry out West Bank operation

Israeli police earlier said there had been explosions on three buses in two Israeli suburbs outside Tel Aviv

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 21 Feb 2025 9:22AM

Bus explosions: Israeli prime minister instructs military to carry out West Bank operation
Tens of thousands of Palestinians have been forced to leave their homes in West Bank refugee camps, while homes and infrastructure have been demolished. – February 21, 2025

ISRAELI Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the military to carry out an "intensive" operation in the West Bank after explosions on buses close to Tel Aviv on Thursday (Feb 20), in what Netanyahu's office described as an attempted mass attack.

No casualties were reported, Reuters reported today.

The Israeli police earlier said there had been explosions on three buses in two Israeli suburbs outside Tel Aviv and that four explosive devices had been found. Local media reported the explosions had occurred on buses in depots and were empty.

The explosions were a stark reminder of the devastating bus bombings in Israel that were a hallmark of the Palestinian uprising of the 2000s, although such attacks are now rare.

The military said in a statement that it was assisting the police and Shin Bet intelligence agency in the investigation. The police said it was searching for suspects, advising the public to remain vigilant.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosions. Netanyahu met with the defense minister, head of the military and Shin Bet and the police commissioner following the explosions, his office said. A police spokesperson said that improvised explosive devices with timers had been identified and public transportation had been searched for any further devices.

A video published by local media showed what appeared to be a bus on fire at a depot and a photo of a burned-out bus.

The military said it would intensify counter-terrorism operations in the West Bank and that it had blocked entry points in certain areas, without specifying where. The military has been conducting a large-scale military operation in the West Bank over the past month that it says is targeting militants.

Tens of thousands of Palestinians have been forced to leave their homes in West Bank refugee camps, while homes and infrastructure have been demolished.

The bus blasts come amid a fragile ceasefire in Gaza between the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Israel after 16 months of war. Hamas on Thursday released the bodies of four hostages.

The ceasefire has been held since it was implemented on Jan 19 despite accusations traded by Israel and Hamas of violations. – February 21, 2025

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl