World

Israel says it is stopping the entry of all aid and supplies into the Gaza Strip

The country’s prime minister’s office warns of “additional consequences” if Hamas does not accept what Israel says is a U.S. proposal for an extension of the ceasefire.

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 02 Mar 2025 3:28PM

Israel says it is stopping the entry of all aid and supplies into the Gaza Strip
The first phase of the Israel-Hamas ceasefire, which included a surge in humanitarian assistance, expired on Saturday. – March 2, 2025

Israel said Sunday it is stopping the entry of all goods and supplies into the Gaza Strip.

The Associated Press cited that the prime minister’s office did not elaborate on the decision but warned of “additional consequences” if Hamas does not accept what Israel says is a U.S. proposal for an extension of the ceasefire. It was not immediately clear if the supply of aid has been completely halted.

The first phase of the Israel-Hamas ceasefire, which included a surge in humanitarian assistance, expired on Saturday. The two sides have yet to negotiate the second phase, in which Hamas was to release dozens of remaining hostages in return for an Israeli pullout and a lasting ceasefire.

Israel said earlier on Sunday that it supports a proposal to extend the first phase of the ceasefire through Ramadan and Passover, or April 20. It said the proposal came from the Trump administration’s Mideast envoy, Steve Witkoff.

Under that proposal, Hamas would release half the hostages on the first day and the rest when an agreement is reached on a permanent ceasefire, according to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office.

There was no immediate comment from the United States, Egypt or Qatar, who have been mediating between Israel and Hamas for over a year. Hamas has not yet responded to the proposal. - March 2, 2025

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month