World

Rockets hit near US embassy in Iraq as tensions flare

Iraq’s security forces say attacks caused material damage, but no casualties

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 21 Dec 2020 9:30AM

Rockets hit near US embassy in Iraq as tensions flare
A security source says at least three rockets landed near the US embassy in the high-security Green Zone, while two others hit separate residential neighbourhoods. –www.military.com pic, December 21, 2020

BAGHDAD – A volley of rockets exploded near the United States embassy in Baghdad yesterday, as tensions mounted ahead of the anniversary of the US killing top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani on Iraqi soil.

AFP reporters in the capital’s east heard at least five booms last night, followed by whistling sounds.

A few moments later, they heard thunderous rapid-fire sounds and saw streams of red flares in the dark sky, indicating the US embassy’s C-RAM rocket defence system had been activated.

Iraq’s security forces issued a statement saying the attacks caused material damage, but no casualties.

A security source said at least three rockets landed near the US embassy in the high-security Green Zone, while two others hit separate residential neighbourhoods.

An Iraqi man living across the street from the US diplomatic mission in a high-security residential compound said that his building was hit.

“Everyone is screaming and crying. My wife is losing it from all the terrifying sounds,” he said, preferring to speak anonymously. 

A member of parliament said that his home had been hit by a rocket fragment, likely caused by the C-RAM’s deflection or explosion of incoming rockets. 

The US embassy and other foreign military and diplomatic sites have been targeted by dozens of rockets and roadside bomb attacks since the autumn of 2019.

Western and Iraqi officials have blamed hardline groups, including the pro-Iran faction Kataeb Hezbollah.

In October, these groups agreed to an indefinite truce, but yesterday’s attack is the third apparent violation. 

The first, on November 17, saw a volley of rockets slam into the US embassy and various parts of the Iraqi capital, killing one young woman.

On December 10, two convoys transporting logistical equipment for the US-led coalition helping Iraqi troops fight jihadists were targeted with roadside bombs. 

The attacks have been claimed by groups that both US and Iraqi officials have described as smokescreens for well-known Iran-aligned armed factions in Iraq. 

But in an unusual move, several factions condemned Sunday's attack. 

Moqtada Sadr, a populist cleric and former militia leader, tweeted that “no one has the right to use weapons outside of the state.” 

Even Kataeb Hezbollah, which has been blamed for other attacks, issued an online statement. 

“Bombing the (US) embassy of evil at this time is considered out of order,” it said, while also condemning the US embassy’s use of the C-RAM system. 

The statement could be an attempt to calm tensions ahead of the anniversary on January 3 of the US drone strike that killed Soleimani and leading Iraqi paramilitary figure Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.

Western and Iraqi officials said they believe that Iran is looking to maintain calm ahead of US President Donald Trump’s departure from the White House next month.

Trump has pursued a “maximum pressure” policy against Iran, an approach that has also squeezed its allies next door in Iraq.

Diplomats have feared a last-minute military action by the Trump administration on Iranian interests in Iraq, or a possible escalation by anti-US groups around Baghdad.

The US diplomatic mission has already partially withdrawn its staff due to security concerns, two senior Iraqi officials said earlier this month. 

They described the move as a “minor drawdown based on security reservations from the US side,” and said it was not a rupture of diplomatic ties. – AFP, December 21, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 14h

MP to raise commingled oil cargo tax uncertainty in Parliament

Business / 21h

Independent review needed, not blind denial, to address US claims – maritime expert

World / 1d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit