World

Malaysian lawyer involved in allegations against ICC chief prosecutor; possible external link?

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 23 Jul 2025 9:55AM

Malaysian lawyer involved in allegations against ICC chief prosecutor; possible external link?

KARIM Khan - the prosecutor who successfully sought arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant in May last year has been 'warned' that he and the ICC would be destroyed if the warrants were not withdrawn.

According to reports in the Middle East Eye (MEE), the warning was delivered in May to the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nicholas Kaufman, a British-Israeli defence lawyer at the court linked to a Netanyahu adviser.

According to a note of the meeting on file at the ICC and seen by MEE, Kaufman told Khan to apply to the court to reclassify the warrants and underlying information as “confidential”.

This, it was suggested, would allow Israel to access the details of the allegations, which it could not do at the time, and challenge them in private – without the outcome being made public.

Kaufman told Khan: “They will destroy you, and they will destroy the court.”

The ICC issued arrest warrants against Netanyahu, Gallant and Hamas leader Mohammed Deif in November on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity over the Hamas-led October 7, 2023, attacks on Israel and Israel’s subsequent genocidal war in Gaza. Deif has since been confirmed dead.

Since then, the Israeli defendants are internationally wanted suspects, and ICC member states are under legal obligation to arrest them although several have been wary to agree to it.

Coincidentally, on 16 May 2025, Khan's office stated that he had temporarily stepped aside from his role and was on administrative leave until an investigation by the UN's Office of Internal Oversight Services concluded.

Khan's deputy prosecutors were placed in charge of managing the Office of the Prosecutor in his absence.

The Malaysian connection

According to reports in the Wall Street Journal, Khan, who has been in his role at the ICC since 2021, was accused of forcing himself on a female assistant in a New York hotel room in December 2023.

The assistant, a lawyer from Malaysia in her 30s, alleged Khan further forced her into sexual intercourse against her will while on missions in New York, Colombia, Congo, Chad and Paris, as well as his residence at the Hague.

These allegations surfaced just as he was reportedly preparing to seek arrest warrants for more members of the Israeli government.

Khan has strenuously denied all the allegations against him.

A smear campaign against Khan?

Officials at the ICC also claim the allegations may be part of a smear campaign by Israeli intelligence.

The Guardian previously reported that Khan's precursor, Fatou Bensouda, was threatened by the Mossad director Yossi Cohen in an attempt to dissuade her from opening war crime inquiries against Israel.

The New York Times reported an anonymous account on X called @ICC_Leaks, revealed the allegations and has been allegedly promoting a campaign against Khan and the ICC.

It added that after announcing the charges against Netanyahu and Gallant, Khan hinted that external forces were attempting to influence the investigation.

Sources at the ICC say the results of the investigation into the allegations could determine the future of the ICC. – July 23, 2025

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Foreign management institute denies claims of any wrongdoing

World / 3w

Former ICC prosecutor defends Khan over Gaza war crimes case

Malaysia / 3w

KDN: Israeli travel documents not recognised for entry into Malaysia

Malaysia / 4w

‘No time to entertain opposition’s political attacks or allegations’ – Aminuddin

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Opinion / 1mth

Strong protest: Irresponsible interview attempts to influence ICC member state voting

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident