World

US urges release of HK ‘speedboat fugitives’ set for China trial

Their only ‘crime’ is fleeing tyranny, says US embassy spokesman

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 28 Dec 2020 2:20PM

US urges release of HK ‘speedboat fugitives’ set for China trial
The security law that now blankets Hong Kong gives authorities sweeping powers of prosecution for acts deemed terrorism, succession, subversion or collusion with foreign entities. – Wikipedia pic, December 28, 2020

SHENZHEN – The United States called for the “immediate release” of a group of Hong Kong democracy activists facing trial in China today, after they attempted to escape the territory by speedboat for sanctuary in Taiwan.

Ten of the so-called “Hong Kong 12” are due in court in the southern city of Shenzhen facing charges linked to an illegal border crossing. 

Chinese authorities took them into custody after their boat was intercepted on August 23.

At least two of the group face up to seven years in jail for organising an attempted escape from a city where democracy activists last year led massive protests against Beijing’s rule.

Some members were already facing prosecution in Hong Kong, where China has imposed a draconian national security law that has stamped out the city’s protest movement.

“Their so-called ‘crime’ was to flee tyranny,” a US embassy spokesman at the US consulate-general in Guangzhou said, hours ahead of their scheduled court appearance via video link.

Urging their “immediate release”, the spokesman said “Communist China will stop at nothing to prevent its people from seeking freedom elsewhere”.

Families of the accused – the youngest of whom is just 16 – have called for the hearing in the court here to be broadcast live, after they were unable to attend due to the short notice for the trial and Covid-19 requirements.

They were only notified of the trial date on Friday, while their lawyers have been barred from meeting with the detainees. Authorities instead have appointed state-approved legal representation.

In a joint letter over the weekend, the families said they “strongly condemn” the authorities’ decision to hold the trial in “de facto secret” at Yantian District People’s Court.

“We urge governments to send embassy personnel to the hearing to guarantee a proper and fair trial by the courts in Shenzhen,” they said, noting that those detained include British, Portuguese and Vietnamese nationals.

The security law that now blankets Hong Kong gives authorities sweeping powers of prosecution for acts deemed terrorism, succession, subversion or collusion with foreign entities.

The city had enjoyed unique freedoms since its handover from former colonial power Britain in 1997, with a deal promising a “one country, two systems” arrangement for 50 years.

Beijing says the new security law was needed to restore peace and stability, but critics have condemned it as a fatal attack on Hong Kong’s freedoms.  

China has a history of putting dissidents on trial around the Christmas and New Year period to avoid Western scrutiny.

Amnesty International said there was little chance the group will receive a fair trial.

“They have so far been deprived of their basic rights, including the right to defend themselves through legal representation of their own choosing,” Hong Kong Amnesty programme manager Lam Cho Ming said in a statement.

Eight members are accused of an illegal border crossing, while two are suspected of organising for others to cross the border.

Two minors face non-public hearings.

Since Beijing’s imposition of the security law in June, Taiwan has emerged as a sanctuary for Hong Kong activists – quietly turning a blind eye to residents turning up without proper visas or paperwork. – AFP, December 28, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia / 2d

Anwar backs One China policy, says Beijing can pursue reunification

Malaysia / 2d

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

Malaysia / 2d

Disturbed woman at KLIA taken to hospital, had forgotten to take medication

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 4d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran