World

Rio de Janeiro to block beach access on New Year's Eve

Move aims to prevent crowds, control spread of coronavirus pandemic

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 29 Dec 2020 11:45AM

Rio de Janeiro to block beach access on New Year's Eve
Rio de Janeiro authorities says measures will include a ban on vehicles along some 30 kilometers of Rio's coastline, where millions of people typically gather every December 31 to ring in the new year – Pixabay pic, December 29, 2020

RIO DE JANEIRO – Rio de Janeiro authorities announced yesterday they will block beach access the night of December 31 to prevent crowds in one of Brazil’s worst-hit cities by the coronavirus pandemic.

The measures will include a ban on vehicles along some 30 kilometers of Rio's coastline, where millions of people typically gather every December 31 to ring in the new year with elaborate firework displays.

Only inhabitants of the surrounding neighborhoods will be able to walk in the area.

Violations may be punished with fines of up to 15,000 reais ($2,800).

“We have to send a hard and direct message to the population,” said Alexandre Cardeman, chief of the Rio Operations Centre, which is in charge of security and traffic video surveillance.

“What we want to make clear, beyond those restrictions, is that a lot depends on us,” he said. “Spend a conscious New Year and stay at home.”

Last week, the mayor’s office announced that entry would be forbidden to the Copacabana neighborhood, the center of traditional New Year's festivities, from 8:00pm on December 31.

Police barriers will be erected to block both public transport and private vehicles, and the subway will stop circulating in those areas.

The mayor's office had initially planned a virtual celebration with online music shows but canceled any official events two weeks ago.

Brazil, with more than 191,000 deaths, has the second-highest death toll from the coronavirus pandemic, after the United States.

In Rio alone, the death toll is more than 15,000, with a mortality rate of 216 per 100,000 inhabitants – more than double the national average. – AFP, December 29, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 6mth

No new cases of Nipah virus reported in Malaysia so far - MOH

Malaysia / 7mth

King and queen extend New Year greetings for 2026

Malaysia / 1y

PM: CNY marks fresh start in strengthening the spirit of unity 

Malaysia / 1y

Two mega projects to propel Sarawak to the future

Malaysia / 1y

Police say no to two rallies at Menara Kinabalu

Culture / 2y

Jaya Grocer opens 49th outlet in Plaza Shah Alam, its third in the state capital

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons