World

Tokyo hits new record with over 1,000 fresh infections

PM calls emergency talks with ministers on Covid-19 situation today

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Dec 2020 4:00PM

Tokyo hits new record with over 1,000 fresh infections
Japan has seen a comparatively limited outbreak compared to some parts of the world, with fewer than 3,500 deaths since it recorded its first case of Covid-19 in January. – Pixabay pic, December 31, 2020

TOKYO – The city here reported more than 1,000 new coronavirus infections today, a new record, as local and government officials warned that a state of emergency may be needed to tackle spiking cases.

Japan’s Jiji news agency said Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has called emergency talks with ministers on the virus situation later today.

“We are still compiling precise figures today. It has been reported to me that it will be above 1,000 and reach somewhere around 1,300,” Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike told reporters.

“For the coronavirus, there is no year-end and no new year holiday. In this winter season, we are seeing the coronavirus spread, and it is an extremely serious situation.”

Japan has seen a comparatively limited outbreak compared to some parts of the world, with fewer than 3,500 deaths since it recorded its first case of Covid-19 in January.

It has also avoided the harsh lockdown measures used in some countries, though the government imposed a “state of emergency” in the spring, calling on businesses to close and asking people to stay at home.

That measure carried no penalty for non-compliance, and was lifted after several weeks when cases fell.

Infections stayed low during the summer, but in recent weeks, a spike has alarmed officials and medical professionals, prompting calls for a new state of emergency, which the government has been reluctant to implement for fear of the economic fallout.

If cases continue to rise, the city “may have no choice but to request” that the central government implement a new state of emergency, Koike warned yesterday.

Yasutoshi Nishimura, the minister in charge of the coronavirus response, also warned that a state of emergency will be needed to “protect the lives of the Japanese people” if infections continue to spike.

“The medical system will not be able to survive,” he said in a video message.

Suga, who took office this autumn after the resignation of Shinzo Abe, has been criticised for his government’s response to the third wave of infections, including backing a controversial programme promoting domestic travel.

The programme has been suspended over the new year, when many Japanese travel to visit family, and government officials have urged people to stay home to help suppress the new wave.

Medical professionals have for weeks been warning that the country’s healthcare system is stretched beyond capacity.

Earlier this week, former transport minister Yuichiro Hata became the first senior politician to die after contracting the virus. – AFP, December 31, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren