World

Iran to enrich uranium up to 20%: IAEA

Letter, however, does not state exactly when activity will begin

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Jan 2021 10:50AM

Iran to enrich uranium up to 20%: IAEA
Tehran is currently enriching uranium to levels greater than the limit provided for in the Vienna agreement (3.67%), but not exceeding the 4.5% threshold. – Pixabay pic, January 2, 2021

VIENNA – Iran has informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that it intends to produce uranium enriched to up to 20% purity, well beyond the threshold set by the 2015 Vienna accord, said the United Nations nuclear watchdog yesterday.

“Iran informed the agency of its intention to enrich uranium at a rate of up to 20% in its Fordow underground plant, to comply with a law recently passed by the Iranian Parliament,” an IAEA spokesman told AFP.

The letter dated December 31 “did not state exactly when this enrichment activity would begin”.

The Russian ambassador to IAEA, Mikhail Ulyanov, shared the information earlier on Twitter, citing a report submitted by IAEA chief Rafael Grossi to the board of governors.

“It is an additional blow,” a diplomat based here told AFP, as Tehran continues to retaliate to US sanctions by progressively abandoning limits on its nuclear activity laid down in the deal. 

According to the latest report available from the UN agency, published last November, Tehran is enriching uranium to levels greater than the limit provided for in the Vienna agreement (3.67%), but not exceeding the 4.5% threshold, and still complies with the agency’s strict inspection regime.

But, there has been turmoil since the assassination in late November of Iranian nuclear physicist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.

In the aftermath of the attack, blamed on Israel, hardliners in Tehran pledged a response, and Parliament passed a controversial law calling for the production and storage of “at least 120kg per year of 20% enriched uranium”, and to “put an end” to the IAEA inspections intended to check that the country is not developing an atomic bomb.

The government opposed the initiative, which was also condemned by other signatories to the accord that called on Tehran not to “compromise the future”.

The other signatories – China, France, Germany, Russia and Britain – have been playing for time, in advance of Joe Biden’s inauguration as US president.

The Democrat has shown himself to be determined to save the pact.

Biden, who takes office on January 20, has signalled that Washington will rejoin the so-called Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action aimed at limiting Iran’s nuclear programme.

The deal has been unravelling ever since President Donald Trump dramatically withdrew from it in May 2018 and imposed crippling economic sanctions on Tehran.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has said the change of administration in the US means that there is “a last window” for progress that “shouldn’t be wasted”. – AFP, January 2, 2021

Related News

World / 2d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World / 3d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

World / 1mth

Iran’s My Lai: The Minab school bombing and the reckoning that never comes

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt