World

Proud Boys head held over torched banner

Chairman of right-wing US group Enrique Tarrio taken into custody

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 05 Jan 2021 11:00AM

Proud Boys head held over torched banner
Enrique Tarrio was charged with destruction of property at the Asbury United Methodist Church, a mainly African American church where he and others allegedly burned the banner during violent protests on December 12. – Wikipedia pic, January 5, 2021

WASHINGTON – The chairman of the right-wing Proud Boys group was arrested here yesterday over the torching last month of a Black Lives Matter banner taken from a church during violent protests, police said.

Enrique Tarrio, 36, was taken into custody as the US capital braces for demonstrations against lawmakers' certification this week of Joe Biden as the next US president.

Tarrio, who had just arrived in the city from Florida, was charged with destruction of property at the Asbury United Methodist Church, a mainly African American church where he and others allegedly burned the banner during violent protests on December 12.

He was hit with additional charges of possessing two illegal high capacity firearm magazines at the time of his arrest, police said.

In a parallel court case unveiled yesterday, Tarrio and other members of the Proud Boys were accused by the historic Metropolitan AME church, also mainly African American, with tearing down and burning its banner during the protests last month.

"The conduct of the Proud Boys in Washington, DC on December 12, 2020, amounted to a new and dangerous chapter in the long and terrible history of white supremacist mob violence targeting Black houses of worship," the church said in its filing.

The arrest came ahead of  protests planned today and tomorrow by backers of President Donald Trump supporting his unfounded claim that he, and not Biden, won the November 3 presidential election.

Washington police said yesterday they were worried about potential violence, particularly from groups like the Proud Boys, and warned that people carrying firearms would be arrested.

"We will not allow people to incite violence or intimidate our residents," said Mayor Muriel Bowser. – AFP, January 5, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war