World

US recognises Moroccan sovereignty, starts work on consulate in disputed Western Sahara

Move in exchange for Rabat normalising ties with Israel under American-brokered deal

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 11 Jan 2021 7:30AM

US recognises Moroccan sovereignty, starts work on consulate in disputed Western Sahara
A US State Department-authorised map of Morocco recognising Western Sahara as under Moroccan sovereignty, next to flags of the United States and Morocco. – AFP pic, January 11, 2021

RABAT – The United States on Sunday started the “process of establishing” a consulate in contested Western Sahara, after Washington recognised Morocco’s sovereignty there in exchange for Rabat normalising ties with Israel.

US ambassador David Fischer visited the port of Dakhla, 1,440km southwest of Rabat in the far south of Moroccan-controlled Western Sahara, to mark the start of work on a diplomatic office.

“It is such an honour for me to visit this stunningly beautiful and critically important region of Morocco, and to begin the process of establishing a US diplomatic presence here,” Fischer said, according to the US embassy.

Western Sahara is a disputed and divided former Spanish colony, mostly under Morocco's control, where tensions with the pro-independence Polisario Front have simmered since the 1970s.

Last year, Morocco joined the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Sudan in agreeing to normalise ties with Israel under US-brokered deals.

In return, US President Donald Trump fulfilled a decades-old Moroccan goal by backing its contested sovereignty over the barren but phosphate-rich region, which lies next to key Atlantic fishing zones.

Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita said Sunday that “Morocco feels stronger in its legitimate fight for its territorial integrity... with the support of its friends”.

The Algerian-backed Polisario Front fought a war for independence from 1975 to 1991 and controls about one-fifth of the desert territory.

United Nations peacekeepers in Western Sahara are mandated to organise a referendum on self-determination for the region and, despite Washington’s move, the UN insists its position is “unchanged”.

In November, the Polisario announced that it regards a 1991 ceasefire as null and void, after Morocco sent troops into a UN-patrolled buffer zone to reopen a key road.

Fischer, who called the visit Sunday “another historic milestone in more than 200 years of friendship” between Morocco and the US, was accompanied by Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs David Schenker.

In December, the US State Department opened a “virtual” diplomatic post in Western Sahara, ahead of finding “an appropriate site” to build a consulate.

The building is expected to be ready in coming months, Fischer added. – AFP, January 11, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Foreign Ministry concerned at ‘irresponsible’ leak of confidential diplomatic note

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus