World

Chileans mistakenly sent tsunami warning after Antarctic quake

Hundreds flee on foot or in vehicles to higher areas out of fear

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 24 Jan 2021 8:00PM

Chileans mistakenly sent tsunami warning after Antarctic quake
A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck near Santiago at 9.07pm, which was felt in resorts along the central and northern Pacific coast, where tourists were enjoying the country's summer season. – Pixabay pic, January 24, 2021

SANTIAGO – A 7.1-magnitude earthquake that struck yesterday off the coast of Antarctica triggered a tsunami warning but panic ensued when a message to abandon coastal areas was sent to a large number of Chileans, some of whom experienced a separate, less dangerous temblor.

The shallow Antarctic quake struck at 8.36 pm (2336 GMT) in the sea east of Chile's Eduardo Frei base, the country's National Emergency Office (Onemi) said, prompting the agency to urge evacuation from "the beach area of the Antarctic" ahead of a possible tsunami.

An unrelated 5.8-magnitude earthquake, meanwhile, struck near here at 9.07pm, which was felt in resorts along the central and northern Pacific coast, where tourists were enjoying the country's summer season.

However, due to technical error, a warning to abandon coastal areas had accidentally gone out to a large portion of the country's 18 million inhabitants rather than those in the Antarctic region.

Within minutes, Onemi explained that the message had been sent by mistake and was only intended for Antarctica residents, but not before causing panic in the Chilean streets, with hundreds of people fleeing on foot or in vehicles to higher areas out of fear of a tsunami.

Onemi said a total of 80 people were evacuated in Antarctica from the Chilean Air Force's Frei base which includes a village, hospital, school, bank, post office and chapel, following the quake which struck about 210km east of the base.

Another 80 were evacuated from Chile's O'Higgins, Fildes and Prat bases, where no damage was recorded, as well as from five nearby unspecified foreign bases in Antarctica.

Almost two hours later, Onemi ordered the Antarctic tsunami warning and evacuation cancelled.

Frei base's maximum population in summer is 150 people, and the average population in winter is 80.

Onemi said no significant damage was reported from the Chilean quake, which occurred 14km from here at a depth of 122km. The agency slightly revised the strength of both quakes from their originally reported magnitudes.

Chile is one of the most seismically active countries in the world. A 8.8-magnitude temblor in the city of Concepcion on February 27, 2010, left more than 500 dead. 

The country suffered the most powerful earthquake ever recorded 60 years ago – measuring 9.6 magnitude – in the city of Valdivia. – AFP, January 24, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

Sumatra earthquake felt in Penang, no damage reported

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

Tsunami alert: Stay calm and obey instructions from the authorities – Hajiji (video)

Malaysia / 5mth

6.1 magnitude earthquake hits Volcano Islands, Japan

Malaysia / 8mth

Halmahera earthquake in Indonesia today poses no tsunami threat to Malaysia

World / 8mth

Major earthquake in Tokyo metropolitan area may claim 18,000 lives in next few decades: report

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran