World

Singapore detects first Covid-19 re-infection case

Foreign worker tested positive in April last year and consistently until Jan 25

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 07 Feb 2021 9:20AM

Singapore detects first Covid-19 re-infection case
The virus detected in the foreign worker’s samples taken in January is genetically distinct from that associated with the dormitories outbreak last year, says the Health Ministry. – The Vibes file pic, February 7, 2021

SINGAPORE – Singapore detected its first case of possible Covid-19 re-infection involving a migrant worker at a dormitory, according to the republic's Health Ministry.

While re-infection is rare, the ministry, in consultation with an expert panel, has assessed that the clinical and laboratory evidence “suggests that this is a likely case of re-infection”.

In addition to his positive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test results, the ministry said there was a corresponding marked increase in antibody titres compared with the period prior to the likely re-infection, “suggesting that he was exposed to a new infection, which boosted his antibody levels”.

“The virus detected in his samples taken in January is also genetically distinct from that associated with the dormitories outbreak in 2020, suggesting that this is likely a different and new infection,” said the ministry in a statement yesterday.

The expert panel comprises infectious diseases and microbiology experts from the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID), Singapore General Hospital and the National Public Health Laboratory.

The ministry said it will continue to closely monitor recovered Covid-19 cases to determine their post-infection immunity.

“So far, there is no indication that recovered workers in the dormitories have significant loss of post-infection immunity,” it said.

The ministry said the worker, previously labelled as Case 2513, was identified from rostered monitoring testing conducted as part of its surveillance of recovered workers to monitor their post-infection immunity.

The ministry said the case is a 28-year-old male Bangladesh national holding a work permit who resides in a dormitory at 43 Tech Park Crescent.

He had been confirmed positive for Covid-19 on April 12, last year, and subsequently recovered, testing negative for Covid-19 consistently from June onwards.

On January 25, however, his test results came back positive and he was isolated.

“Numerous repeat tests conducted subsequently were also positive for the virus,” said the ministry.

It said said the worker, who is currently warded at NCID, reported that he felt unwell on January 22 and 23, but is otherwise asymptomatic.

It added that all close contacts of the case have tested negative for Covid-19, and have been isolated and placed on quarantine. – Bernama, February 7, 2021

Related News

World / 2d

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

Malaysia / 3d

S'pore driver involved in altercation with Malaysian policeman near Woodlands Checkpoint

Malaysia / 3w

Play chess, not checkers: Why Negeri Sembilan matters

Malaysia / 1mth

Singapore: Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon to retire in Feb 2027, succeeded by Justice Sushil Nair

Malaysia / 1mth

State policies have not benefitted Johoreans, forcing many to seek employment in Singapore, says Guan Eng

World / 2mth

Rat spotted scurrying around on Singapore East-West Line MRT train (video)

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest