World

US court approves US$800m settlement in LV mass shooting

Families of victims of America's worst mass shooting – a rampage that left 58 dead and more than 800 wounded – now 'closer to closure'

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 01 Oct 2020 12:07PM

US court approves US$800m settlement in LV mass shooting
Mourners placed 58 white crosses for the victims of the mass shooting on the Las Vegas Strip, south of the Mandalay Bay hotel, October 6, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. – AFP, October 1, 2020

LOS ANGELES – A US court yesterday approved an US$800 million (RM3.3 billion) settlement for victims of America's worst mass shooting – a rampage that left 58 dead and more than 800 wounded in Las Vegas.

In the October 2017 massacre, a man named Stephen Paddock opened fire with high-powered rifles from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, unleashing more than 1,000 rounds as he mowed down people among a crowd attending an outdoor country music festival.

MGM Resorts International, the casino's owner, will pay US$49 million "of its own funds" while the remainder is to come from its insurers, the court order stated.

The order said there had been "near-unanimous participation in the settlement" among thousands of potential claimants including victims and their families.

"We are grateful that the decision brings families, victims and the community closer to closure," MGM said in a statement to AFP yesterday.

"It is especially meaningful that the decision comes one day before the third anniversary of the incident, a time of great sadness and reflection."

An earlier statement said the settlement does not amount to an admission of liability by MGM Resorts.

MGM was sued by victims on grounds of negligence for allowing Paddock to stockpile a huge amount guns and ammunition in his hotel room without being noticed. 

In 2018 it launched a counter-suit aimed at forcing the plaintiffs to drop their suits on grounds that MGM Resorts is not liable.

An outline of the settlement was first announced last October, with MGM saying in a statement that "prolonged litigation around these matters is in no one's best interest.

In her order yesterday, Clark County District Court Judge Linda Bell noted "the extraordinary work and effort by counsel in this case to achieve the maximum amount available to claimants... despite having an immensely difficult, unique, and tragic set of circumstances."

Paddock was found dead in his hotel room with a self-inflicted gunshot. In August 2018 authorities ended their probe of the shooting without learning Paddock's motive. – AFP, October 1, 2020

Related News

World / 13h

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

Opinion / 1w

Wikipedia has become compromised by intelligence agencies and ideological capture

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Malaysia / 3w

Malaysia must prepare for the effects of the Gulf War

Malaysia / 4w

US lawmakers urge review of Malaysia ties over Anwar’s Israel deportation remarks

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut