World

France mulls introducing consent age as sex abuse claims pile up

Change in law given impetus by woman’s allegations of being raped by more than 20 firefighters when she was a teenager

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 10 Feb 2021 9:30PM

France mulls introducing consent age as sex abuse claims pile up
The issue of child sexual abuse exploded on to the front pages in France last month after the daughter of a former foreign minister published a book accusing her stepfather, who is a prominent political commentator, of having abused her twin brother as a child. – Pixabay pic, February 10, 2021

PARIS – The French government has backed the introduction of a minimum age of sexual consent, a move that will bring it in line with most other Western countries, following years of campaigning by abuse victims.

The push for a change in the law has been given extra impetus by allegations brought by a woman who claims she was raped by more than 20 firefighters when she was a teenager, with a ruling in the long-running case expected later today.

Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti yesterday said the government is “favourable that a new crime be established, whereby any act of sexual penetration by an adult involving a minor aged 15 is a crime”.

His proposal goes further than a bill drafted by members of the Senate, which calls for the age of consent to be set at 13.

Speaking to France 2 television the minister said public opinion has shifted on the issue of sex between adults and minors, long shrugged off in France as harmless in cases where the relations are presented as consensual.

Dupond-Moretti said the current requirement for underage victims to prove they are forced, threatened or duped into sex in order to bring charges of rape or sexual assault should be scrapped.

His office in a statement said the minister wants to ensure “equal treatment of all underage victims” in the eyes of the law.

“We are cracking open this sort of ideological leaden weight which prevent victims’ voices from being heard.”

Proving lack of consent

Judges are due to rule today on a long-running case brought by a woman known only as Julie (not her real name), who claims she was attacked during 2008 and 2010, when she was repeatedly hospitalised for severe anxiety attacks.

Each time she was taken to hospital required the intervention of the ambulance service, which is staffed by firefighters.

Three firefighters were initially charged with gang rape, but the charges were later downgraded to sexual violation under a law that makes it an offence – but not a crime – for someone in a position of authority to have sex with a minor.

To prove rape, victims in France must prove they were forced into sex even if they were underage. 

The firefighters insist Julie consented to sex, but her family say she was extremely vulnerable and incapable of granting consent. She herself has insisted she never expressly consented to sex.

Today, France’s top court will rule on her appeal against the downgrading of the charges. – AFP, February 10, 2021

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Business / 1y

Time for Malaysia to move away from its traditional markets, says MITI

Malaysia / 1y

Malaysia eyeing big chunk of RM 1.4 billion spent by French tourists yearly

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran