World

Tokyo Olympics panel search for new boss after sexism row

Campaigners urge for transparent selection process, but Games organisers decline to identify group members

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 16 Feb 2021 7:00PM

Tokyo Olympics panel search for new boss after sexism row
Tokyo 2020 CEO Toshiro Muto says that the panel charged with finding a new Tokyo Olympics chief will have Olympic or Paralympic expertise, and an understanding of diversity and gender equality. – AFP pic, February 16, 2021

TOKYO – The panel charged with finding a new Tokyo Olympics chief after a sexism row will begin talks today, local media said, as campaigners urged more transparency in the selection process.

The panel is convening for the first time to choose a successor to 83-year-old Yoshiro Mori, who resigned on Friday after his claims that women talk too much in meetings sparked widespread outrage.

It is expected to be made up of eight members, with a 50-50 gender split.

But campaigners called for the process to be made more transparent, with Games organisers declining to identify the panel’s members to protect them from media attention.

The postponed 2020 Games are set to begin in July, with officials and organisers insisting they will go ahead despite doubts over the event’s viability given the ongoing pandemic.

The formation of the new panel, headed by 85-year-old Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai, was announced Friday after Mori’s reported attempts to hand-pick 84-year-old Saburo Kawabuchi as his successor were met with opposition.

“Now they say they won’t reveal who the members are of the committee to choose the next chief,” Kazuko Fukuda, a campaigner for women’s sexual and reproductive rights, said.

“So it’s really like the whole process will take place in secret again.”

Equality campaigners handed a petition with more than 150,000 signatures to Tokyo 2020 organisers this morning, urging them to put concrete measures in place to prevent further discrimination.

Tokyo 2020 declined to comment on the petition or the selection of the Games’ new president “at this stage”.

Reports said the new Games president could be named before the end of the week, with Olympic Minister Seiko Hashimoto, Japanese Olympic Committee president Yasuhiro Yamashita and former hammer-thrower Koji Murofushi among those in contention.

Hashimoto – one of just two women in Japan’s cabinet – was reported today as saying that she had not been approached about taking over.

“It should be done with transparency,” she said.

“I hope we can get the new structure in place quickly.”

The selection panel was expected to focus on the criteria for choosing the next president in its first meeting, before drawing up a list of nominees in its second meeting.

The final choice must be endorsed by Tokyo 2020’s executive board.

Tokyo 2020 CEO Toshiro Muto said last week that the panel will have Olympic or Paralympic expertise, and an understanding of diversity and gender equality.

Local media reports said Muto declined to say where and when the panel will meet. – AFP, February 16, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 4d

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Malaysia / 1w

Malaysian dies while transiting in Bangkok to Japan (video)

World / 3w

7.1-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Kyushu island

Malaysia / 2mth

PM: Students abroad should gain positive values ​​from the local community

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar instructs MetMalaysia to expedite cloud seeding in Kedah, Perlis

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: A boost for Zii Jia despite Malaysia losing to Japan

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt