World

Myanmar sees biggest rallies since troops deployed nationwide

UN official warns reports of soldiers being brought into Yangon may lead to situation spiralling out of control

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 17 Feb 2021 2:30PM

Myanmar sees biggest rallies since troops deployed nationwide
Protesters holding up signs as they block a road during a demonstration against the coup by the Myanmar military, in Yangon today. The junta justifies its power seizure by alleging widespread voter fraud in elections last November. – AFP pic, February 17, 2021

YANGON – Myanmar’s anti-coup protesters returned to the streets in force today with the biggest demonstrations since troops fanned out around the country to quell opposition to the new junta. 

Thousands of people rallied here, the nation’s biggest city, with protesters blockading roads with vehicles to stop security forces from moving around the commercial capital.

Much of the country has been in open revolt since troops deposed Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi’s government at the start of the month and charged her under an obscure law.

Today’s crowds came in defiance of more violent efforts by the regime to bring resistance to heel, following nationwide street protests and a disobedience campaign encouraging civil servants to strike.

“We have to fight until the end,” Nilar, a 21-year-old student who asked that her real name not be used, told AFP.

“We need to show our unity and strength to end military rule. People need to come out on the streets.”

Demonstrations over the past two days had been noticeably smaller since troops were deployed around the city here over the weekend. 

But, social media platforms were flooded with calls for a show of force by protesters in the hours before the junta imposed a third consecutive overnight internet blackout. 

United Nations special rapporteur Tom Andrews, in a statement, warned that reports of soldiers being brought into Yangon could lead to the situation spiralling out of control. 

“I fear that Wednesday has the potential for violence on a greater scale in Myanmar than we have seen since the illegal takeover of the government on February 1.

“We could be on the precipice of the military committing even greater crimes against the people of Myanmar.”

There were no signs of a strong troop presence mobilised here this morning.

In recent days, rubber bullets, tear gas and slingshots have been used against protesters.

A young woman remains in critical condition in the capital, Naypyidaw, after being shot in the head last week.

The military said a police officer died in Mandalay after a confrontation with protesters on Sunday. 

“Those who committed the lawless action on the police officer will be dealt with as necessary,” said an army statement.

The Myanmar junta says Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is in a ‘safer place’ and ‘in good health’. – AFP pic, February 17, 2021
The Myanmar junta says Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi is in a ‘safer place’ and ‘in good health’. – AFP pic, February 17, 2021

New charge for Suu Kyi

The military justified its power seizure by alleging widespread voter fraud in elections last November that Suu Kyi’s party won by a landslide.

After her detention in a dawn raid on February 1, she was charged with possessing unregistered walkie-talkies found in her home.

The Nobel laureate’s lawyer told AFP yesterday that Suu Kyi has been hit with a second charge, of violating the country’s disaster management law.

Further details on the new charge have not been made public. 

The disaster management law was used against deposed president Win Myint for an election campaign event that the junta said broke coronavirus restrictions.

Khin Maung Zaw said Suu Kyi and Win Myint, both of whom he has yet to have any contact with, are expected to appear via video link during a March 1 trial.

But, he said, there are signs that Suu Kyi already made an appearance in court yesterday, without his presence. 

Andrews described the court proceedings as a “secretive trial”.

Military spokesman Zaw Min Tun yesterday said both Suu Kyi and Win Myint are in a “safer place” and “in good health”.

“It’s not like they were arrested – they are staying at their houses.”

More than 450 people have been arrested since the coup, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners monitoring group. 

There are unconfirmed reports of many other arrests. – AFP, February 17, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen