World

6 more ‘Oath Keepers’ charged in assault on US Capitol

They add to probe of 3 others, as Justice Dept builds case that attack was not spontaneous, but planned

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 20 Feb 2021 2:30PM

6 more ‘Oath Keepers’ charged in assault on US Capitol
The United States Justice Department seeks to demonstrate a conspiracy behind the violent attack on the Capitol on January 6 last year. – AFP pic, February 20, 2021

WASHINGTON – The United States Justice Department charged six more members of the extremist Oath Keepers group yesterday for taking part in the January 6 attack by Donald Trump supporters on the US Capitol.

They were added to the case of three other Oath Keepers already charged, as the department seeks to demonstrate a conspiracy behind the violent attack, which temporarily shut down the US legislature and left five people dead.

All were charged with conspiracy to obstruct an official government proceeding, damaging federal property and unlawfully entering a federal building.

The Justice Department said it has arrested Graydon Young, 54 and married couple Kelly Meggs, 52, and Connie Meggs, 59, all of Florida.

It also arrested Young’s sister Laura Steele, 52, of North Carolina, and another married couple –Ohioans Sandra Ruth Parker, 62, and Bennie Alvin Parker, 70.

Several of them had military and/or police backgrounds.

Court documents detailed their communications ahead of the attack on the Capitol, in which they temporarily halted the certification of Joe Biden as winner of the 2020 presidential election.

Multiple pictures exist of the accused at the Capitol, taking part in an organised, military-like column movement to push into the building.

The indictment supports allegations made in Trump’s impeachment trial that they were responding to his call in December to descend on Washington to prevent Biden from becoming president.

In a late December message posted online, Kelly Meggs cited a Trump tweet urging supporters to come to Washington on January 6.

“Trump said it’s gonna be wild! It’s gonna be wild! He wants us to make it wild, that’s what he’s saying. He called us all to the Capitol and wants us to make it wild!” Meggs wrote, according to the charges.

So far 229 people have been charged over the January 6 attack, according to the George Washington University Programme on extremism.

The Justice Department has focused on the participation of the Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, Three Percenters and other groups as it builds a case that the attack on the Capitol was not spontaneous, but planned.

In his impeachment, Democrats in Congress accused Trump of knowingly inciting insurrection in the attack, but Republicans in the Senate voted en bloc to prevent his conviction.

Separately, the Capitol police, who were quickly overwhelmed by the hundreds of attackers on January 6, said six officers had been suspended and another 29 were under investigation for their behaviour during the siege, according to US media.

Some of the attackers said they were encouraged to enter the building by Capitol Police officers. – AFP, February 20, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Malaysia / 2y

Penang-born fugitive Fat Leonard sent back to the US

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month