World

UN World Food Programme warns could suspend work in N. Korea

Country’s self-imposed coronavirus isolation pose problems for relief work

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Feb 2021 8:15PM

UN World Food Programme warns could suspend work in N. Korea
People visit statues of late North Korean leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il at Mansu Hill in Pyongyang. The World Food Programme says that should the import of food not be possible, following North Korea’s coronavirus isolation, operations will cease in 2021. – AFP pic, February 23, 2021 

SEOUL –  Strict coronavirus restrictions imposed by North Korea could force the World Food Programme to suspend operations in the country, where chronic malnutrition is rife, a report on the UN organisation’s website said yesterday.

The impoverished country  –  which is under international sanctions over its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes  –  has long struggled to feed itself, suffering chronic food shortages.

The World Food Programme (WFP) has by far the largest international aid operation in the country and provides specialised foods to around a million pregnant women, nursing mothers and children every month, according to its website.

Sanctions have long complicated aid efforts but the WFP said the North Korea’s self-imposed coronavirus isolation was posing new problems for relief work.

North Korea closed its borders in January last year – the first country in the world to do so – to protect itself against the virus which first broke out in neighbouring China.

“Food imports, international staff deployments and physical monitoring access remain curtailed for a prolonged period,” the WFP said in a report outlining its plans.

“WFP will opportunistically use windows in which food imports are allowed to replenish and optimise in-country stocks’” it added. 

“There is a significant residual risk that, should food imports not be possible, operations will cease in 2021.”

Pyongyang has long insisted it has not seen any cases of Covid-19  – which has killed more than two million people worldwide  –  with its leader Kim Jong Un reiterating the claim at a huge military parade in October.

Experts suggest that is unlikely, given the virus first emerged in neighbouring China, its main provider of trade and aid.

More than 40% of North Korea’s 25 million people are considered food insecure, according to UN estimates. – AFP, February 23, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 7mth

Public outrage after man with several properties still receives RM1,900, through STR and MyKasih

Malaysia / 11mth

PM Anwar: RM100 Sara aid not the only solution but part of wider STR, MySara programmes

Malaysia / 11mth

850,000 Malaysians spend RM50m in first day of Sara aid, system struggles to keep up

Malaysia / 1y

MCA calls for simplified application, prompt disbursement of aid for gas pipeline victims

Malaysia / 1y

Gas pipeline fire: All aid efforts must be coordinated with S’gor MB, Petronas, says PM

Malaysia / 1y

Shafie: Stop the hand-outs, create more opportunities

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest