World

South Korea, Tehran agree to ‘proposals’ on oil billions

Seoul signalled agreement is effectively subject to US approval

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Feb 2021 9:15PM

South Korea, Tehran agree to ‘proposals’ on oil billions
Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei says Tehran has US$7 billion of funds blocked in Seoul. – Pixabay pic, February 23, 2021

SEOUL – South Korea and Iran have agreed a way forward that could see billions of dollars of frozen oil money unblocked, Seoul said today, but signalled that the agreement was effectively subject to US approval.

Tehran last month seized a South Korean-flagged tanker in sensitive Gulf waters, citing the ship’s “repeated infringement of maritime environmental laws”

The seizure of the tanker came after Tehran had urged Seoul to release billions of dollars of Iranian assets frozen in South Korea under US sanctions over its nuclear programme.

South Korea’s foreign ministry said Iran’s central bank governor and Seoul’s ambassador had reached an agreement in Tehran.

“Iran has agreed to our proposals to use the fund,” the ministry said in a statement, without giving details.

There have been suggestions the money could be used to buy coronavirus vaccines, or to pay Iran’s debts at the UN.

But the South Korean ministry added: “Actual lifting of the fund freeze will have to go through consultations with related actors including the US.”

The comment suggests Washington – which is insisting Iran move first in the nuclear stand-off –  will have a de facto veto on any transfers. 

The Iranian government released a separate statement on the deal, quoting Central Bank of Iran governor Abdolnasser Hemmati saying it would continue to demand compensation from South Korean banks.

“The South Korean side needs to make a lot of efforts to erase this negative record,” he added.

Tehran was a key oil supplier to resource-poor South Korea until Washington’s rules blocked the purchases.

The then US president Donald Trump in 2018 withdrew Washington from a landmark nuclear agreement with world powers and then reimposed and reinforced crippling sanctions on Iran.

According to Iranian government spokesman Ali Rabiei, Tehran has US$7 billion (RM28.3 billion) of funds blocked in Seoul.

Tehran has repeatedly denied any link between the ship’s seizure and the issuing of the funds, and earlier this month said it had agreed to allow the crew members to leave in a “humanitarian move”. –  AFP, February 23, 2021

Related News

World / 3d

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World / 4d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1mth

Has the sleeping giant been awakened with a terrible resolve?

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

World / 1mth

Iran’s My Lai: The Minab school bombing and the reckoning that never comes

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month