World

9 women nabbed over Philippine bomb plots

Most are daughters or widows of Abu Sayyaf fighters, and include several ‘potential suicide bombers’

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Feb 2021 10:15PM

9 women nabbed over Philippine bomb plots
Philippine soldiers escorting a hearse during the funeral procession of a victim of the 2019 Jolo cathedral blast. Fifteen people died in the tragedy. – AFP pic, February 23, 2021

MANILA – Nine women suspected of plotting to blow up military targets in restive southern Philippines have been arrested, said the army today.

Security forces detained the women and seized bomb-making equipment during raids on Friday of several homes on the Muslim-majority Jolo Island, a stronghold of the Islamic State-linked Abu Sayyaf group.

Most of the women are the daughters or widows of slain Abu Sayyaf fighters, and include several “potential suicide bombers”, said Maj Gen William Gonzales in a statement.

“This is how desperate the remaining terrorists are; willing to sacrifice their families just to get back at government forces.”

The women were monitored giving “financial or logistical support to their relatives” in Abu Sayyaf, First Lt Jerrica Manongdo told AFP. 

They allegedly planned to attack soldiers with improvised explosive devices.

Three of the women are the daughters of the late Abu Sayyaf leader Hatib Hajan Sawadjaan, who was accused of planning a deadly attack on the Jolo cathedral in 2019 that saw 21 people killed.

Their arrest comes six months after a pair of female suicide bombers, including an Indonesian, blew themselves up in Jolo, killing 15 people and wounding 74 others.

It was the country’s deadliest attack last year. 

Listed by the United States as a terrorist organisation, Abu Sayyaf is a loose network of Islamist militants blamed for the Philippines’ worst terror attacks and the kidnappings of foreign tourists and Christian missionaries. – AFP, February 23, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 2w

Is the South China Sea moving from a ‘zone of peace’ towards the next conflict area?

Opinion / 2mth

ASEAN’s renaissance: A new lease of life in the multipolar world

Malaysia / 3mth

PM Anwar proposes ASEAN food security standby arrangement during crises

Malaysia / 4mth

Petronas denies involvement in reported diesel shipment to Philippines

Malaysia / 4mth

Sabah claim frequently used as political polemic in Philippines - Hajiji

Malaysia / 5mth

Farm Fresh confirms farm director killed in helicopter crash in Philippines

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war