World

Riyadh ‘completely rejects’ US report naming prince in Khashoggi killing

Declassified report finds Mohammed bin Salman gave green light to journo’s 2018 murder

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Feb 2021 8:20AM

Riyadh ‘completely rejects’ US report naming prince in Khashoggi killing
Reporter Jamal Khashoggi, a staunch critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (pic), was lured to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, in October 2018 and murdered by a Saudi squad. – AFP pic, February 27, 2021

RIYADH – Saudi Arabia yesterday said it “completely rejects” a declassified United States report that found de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s 2018 murder.

“The government of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia completely rejects the negative, false and unacceptable assessment in the report pertaining to the kingdom’s leadership, and notes that the report contained inaccurate information and conclusions,” said the Foreign Ministry in a statement.

In the partially redacted report released yesterday by President Joe Biden’s administration, US intelligence concluded that the prince “approved an operation in Istanbul, Turkey, to capture or kill” Khashoggi.

Saudi Arabia previously described the murder as a rogue operation, and has vehemently denied the involvement of the crown prince, popularly known by his initials MBS.

“It is truly unfortunate that this report, with its unjustified and inaccurate conclusions, is issued while the kingdom has clearly denounced this heinous crime, and the kingdom’s leadership took the necessary steps to ensure that such a tragedy never takes place again,” said the ministry.

“The kingdom rejects any measure that infringes upon its leadership, sovereignty, and the independence of its judicial system.”

Khashoggi, a staunch critic of MBS, was lured to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October 2018 and murdered by a Saudi squad.

The US report said given the crown prince’s influence, it is “highly unlikely” that the murder could have taken place without his green light.

Following the release of the report, US State Secretary Antony Blinken said Washington wants to “recalibrate” but not “rupture” its relations with Riyadh, a long-standing security partner in the Middle East.

Despite its anger over the report, Saudi Arabia also stressed that it is keen to maintain the relationship.

“The partnership between Saudi Arabia and the US is a robust and enduring partnership,” said the ministry.

“We look forward to maintaining the enduring foundations that have shaped the framework of the resilient strategic partnership between the kingdom and the US.” – AFP, February 27, 2021

Related News

Opinion / 1mth

Modernity beyond the West? What Saudi Arabia is really testing

World / 1mth

Saudi Aramco helicopter crash kills 14 nationals (video)

Malaysia / 6mth

'I personally heard King Abdullah promise donations to Najib' - Jamil Khir

Malaysia / 7mth

Nadia Kesuma was found to have left Saudi Arabia

Malaysia / 9mth

King departs for state visit to Saudi Arabia

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt