World

WH chief of staff: Trump improving but doctors were 'very concerned'

Earlier, a source mentioned that the President's vitals over the last 24-hours were very concerning

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 04 Oct 2020 2:14PM

WH chief of staff: Trump improving but doctors were 'very concerned'
Meadows' comments to Fox News capped a day of back-and-forth in which conflicting reports about the President Donald Trump's health created an opaque understanding of the leader's actual fitness. – AFP pic, October 4, 2020

WASHINGTON – White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said Saturday that Donald Trump's health, including a fall in his blood oxygen level, had left the president's doctors "very concerned", but he had improved and there was never a risk he would have to hand over power.

Meadows' comments to Fox News capped a day of back-and-forth in which conflicting reports about the president's health created an opaque understanding of the leader's actual fitness.

"He's made unbelievable improvements from yesterday morning, when I know a number of us, the doctor and I, were very concerned," Meadows said.

Earlier in the day a source familiar with the president's health – later named in US media as none other than Meadows – had given a contradictory assessment stating that "the president's vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning."

The statement also seemed at odds with an assessment by White House doctors that the president was "doing very well."

Meadows seemed to clarify late Saturday that comments pertaining to concerningly poor health had applied to the day prior.

"Yesterday morning, we were real concerned ... he had a fever and his blood oxygen level had dropped rapidly," Meadows told Fox.

However, "there was never a consideration and never even a risk of a transition of power," Meadows said.

Late Saturday, White House doctor Sean Conley said Trump was "not yet out of the woods," but that the medical team was "cautiously optimistic."

Meadows echoed a similar sentiment stating that he was "very, very optimistic, based on the current results."

The president posted a video to Twitter late Saturday appearing relaxed in an open-collar shirt and blue suit jacket, telling viewers he would be "back soon" – but acknowledging that the crucial coming days would be "the real test." – AFP, October 4, 2020

Related News

World / 1d

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Opinion / 1mth

Trump’s strategy in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to his downfall

Opinion / 1mth

US attacks in the Gulf show the weaknesses of MOUs

Malaysia / 1mth

Jho Low may be among 250 individuals to receive Trump's pardon in conjunction with US Independence Day

Malaysia / 2mth

The calm in the Strait of Hormuz could be very brief

World / 2mth

Does Iran have nukes?

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline