World

UN Security Council deadlocked on Myanmar unrest

Closed meeting concludes without statement despite calls for united front to address crisis

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 06 Mar 2021 2:00PM

UN Security Council deadlocked on Myanmar unrest
Russia and China – both permanent members with veto power – have previously voiced opinions in support of non-interference, describing Myanmar's increasingly dire situation as an internal affair. – File pic, March 6, 2021

WASHINGTON – The United Nations Security Council was unable to come to terms yesterday on a joint statement on the Myanmar military’s increasingly bloody crackdown on pro-democracy dissidents. 

A closed meeting of the body charged with ensuring international peace and stability concluded without a statement, despite calls from the United States and other members for a united front to address the crisis, reported Anadolu Agency.

Russia and China – both permanent members with veto power – have previously voiced opinions in support of non-interference, describing the increasingly dire situation as an internal affair.

Christine Schraner Burgener, the UN’s special envoy for Myanmar, called on member states to act during the closed session, warning that the hopes of the country’s people are “waning”.

“I have heard directly the desperate pleas – from mothers, students and the elderly – I receive around 2,000 messages every day for international action to reverse a clear assault on the will of the people of Myanmar and democratic principles,” she told the council. “Your unity is needed more than ever.”

The United Kingdom, which had requested yesterday’s session, said shortly after the meeting that it is important for the council “to speak in one voice”, and said it would “consider further action through the Security Council in the coming days”.

Myanmar’s army seized power on February 1, ousting the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi and ending the country’s brief experiment with democratic rule.

Massive anti-coup protests across the country have led to a violent crackdown by the military, with over 60 people killed and more than 1,000 arrested. – Bernama, March 6, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Malaysia will not send any refugees back if lives are in danger - Fahmi

Malaysia / 3w

Former MP questions plan to ‘send home’ 5,000 Rohingya refugees

Malaysia / 3mth

Japanese murder suspect changes identity, disguises himself as a Myanmar national to enter Malaysia

Heritage / 6mth

DRIG calls for erection of monument in memory of those who perished

Malaysia / 9mth

Deceived by job offer, 19-year-old ends up as human trafficking victim

Opinion / 1y

Anwar Ibrahim and a nation in transition

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

AirAsia flight undergoes cleaning after passenger ‘incident’ before Shanghai landing

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China