World

Australia sees first population drop since World War I

Pandemic-prompted border closures stem flow of migrants

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 18 Mar 2021 8:30PM

Australia sees first population drop since World War I
For centuries, Australia’s economic growth has been built on mining and agriculture and fuelled by several waves of mass migration from Europe, Asia and beyond. – AFP pic, March 18, 2021

SYDNEY – Australia’s population has declined for the first time in more than a century as pandemic-induced border closures stemmed the flow of overseas migrants, according to figures released today.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics said the population grew by less than 1% in the year to September 2020, and actually declined in the last recorded quarter.

“The last time we saw population decline was the year to December 1916, during World War I,” said the bureau’s demography director, Phil Browning.

For centuries, Australia’s economic growth has been built on mining and agriculture and fuelled by several waves of mass migration from Europe, Asia and beyond.

But the country, the world’s largest island with only 25.7 million people, effectively sealed itself off from the rest of the world at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The measures – coupled with aggressive coronavirus testing, tracing and snap lockdowns – have limited Covid-19 infections and allowed the economy to open up with limited restrictions.

“Decreases to overseas migration have been observed over the last two quarters,” Browning said.

“For this most recent quarter, the decrease was not outweighed by natural increase causing a small decline in population.”

Net overseas migration stood at 85,100 in the year to September, far fewer than the number of tourists who typically arrive to Australia each week.

Australia’s economy shrunk 1.1% last year, but looks set to grow strongly in the first half of 2021.

Today, the Bureau of Statistics reported the unemployment rate fell to 5.8% last month, pointing to a better-than-expected recovery.

The number of people employed was now above 13 million, higher than levels seen at the outset of the pandemic in March 2020.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison hailed the “comeback”, saying: “There are more jobs now than when the recession began.” – AFP, March 18, 2021

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Deputy Exco plan puts Negeri Sembilan government under pressure to justify need, cost

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Community / 2mth

Penang to study needs of elderly population to better understand their needs

Malaysia / 4mth

Malaysia, Australia back Pope Leo's call for peace, urge dialogue to end global conflicts

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Malaysia / 6mth

Malaysia's population hits 34.3 million in fourth quarter of 2025 as growth slows

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Canada to hit US goods with dollar-for-dollar tariffs after trade talks collapse

World

Teen killed in sword attack at Swedish school was a 17-year-old girl

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way crash on UK’s A66

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations